Holding the camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jscott83

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Have been looking and haven't found an answer yet. I'm looking at getting the Intova and was wondering what is the way people prefer taking the camera with them, Head held, hand held, I like the BCD mounted adapter they have, any thoughts on face mask mounted or any I havented seen that work for you.

Thank You for any info

Ok with one of the back of the hand mount. I'm thinking of just letting the video run.

I have an extension pole that works nicely. you can stick it under ledges or into crevices or turn it around for selfies. Easy to pass up to the boat as well. It seems like videos taken with mask or BC mounts lead to vertigo in the viewer :) The Intova is a great camera for a rec diver.

Look at some of the underwater GoPro videos on YouTube. It makes you seasick to watch unless they use a hand held mount with two handles.
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Poles are not for caves but great for selfies...I would not use one. Mask one works very well but the data back is useless (just make sure that your buddy gets behind you and makes the adjustments so the camera sees what you see and remember to not to look around too much). Tray works best. Mounted on your hand puts the lights and camera too close and your hand is dedicated to the camera. The BC mount does not work well at all because 1) it slips on webbing, 2) it is designed for vertical vice horizontal diving, 3) it gets in the way of long hose donation and 4) flops around too much and even more in current or if using a DPV.

Have been looking and haven't found an answer yet. I'm looking at getting the Intova and was wondering what is the way people prefer taking the camera with them, Head held, hand held, I like the BCD mounted adapter they have, any thoughts on face mask mounted or any I havented seen that work for you.

Thank You for any info

Hi Jcott83: I have seen your post on info about options you were interested in and I thought I would chime in. I do not make the mask mount but if you do decide to try it out make sure you either tether it down or I can send you a headstrap leash for a product review if you wish. Just PM me so I can send you one. Check this video out. About the head strap leash/mask leash.
[video=youtube;b0TvLN8kJ08]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0TvLN8kJ08[/video]

As far as the BCD mount it works fine for bc that have padding on them, This allows the mount o be cinched down and keeps it from flopping as in the case of Tony who had a webbing harness/ no padding. The mount should also be worn on the left shoulder to avoid the reg hose from being in the shot. With this mount you can avoid the bubbles and you can have the ability to move slower when filming vs the mask mount which tends to move a lot faster because of the way the head naturally moves when we are looking around. For BC mounts we have a more rugged mount than what Tony first used as well as more inexpensive mount the B3, we can provide a 1/4 20 adapter for the intova which allow you to tilt the camera back for either of the two mounts. Here is a pic of both mounts.

s780561385371224093_p39_i4_w160.jpeg
s780561385371224093_p39_i2_w160.jpeg

s780561385371224093_p3_i3_w160.jpeg
s780561385371224093_p3_i2_w160.jpeg

I also wanted to point out that the BCD mount can be extended if you wish at a later date or you can get the long arm mount which essentially the same thing except it is a better value. Here is a pic.

s780561385371224093_p17_i3_w160.jpeg
s780561385371224093_p17_i2_w160.jpeg
s780561385371224093_p5_i3_w160.jpeg

This mount allows the flexibility to position the camera in front of you hands free. You can also laer pair it up with BC adjustable light mount and have an off set light to avoid back scatter and film with light hands free as well!

I could also see that you might be interested in filming with the camera pole. I like filming with the camera pole and have found that by using two hands or one hand and the end against your shoulder pocket you can achieve really stable footage. Plus it makes it less taxing on your wrist. Here are some pics and short video. The mono pole light mount serves as a great adjustable light mount and stability handle for both small and larger video lights.

s780561385371224093_p4_i7_w160.jpeg
s780561385371224093_p4_i6_w160.png

IMG_1175a.JPG

[video=youtube;IFzR0eAx0Y0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFzR0eAx0Y0[/video]

I hope this gives you more info for you to have more options to consider.
Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

Frank, looks like you have done some very good changes. I like the idea of the strap and the camera pole looks great. I would like to see the latest on the BC mount. I might caution about the left side mount due to a lot of divers using side exhaust regs (Poseidons). Take care and keep at it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom