Sexism?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Girly problem...................................... :). That would make sense, indeed.

Ok, I am going out, full of shame, and beg for forgiveness.........................LOL

I'm mostly a shore diver and I'm a tech diver (GUE). I will say that there have been two charters that I didn't enjoy-- one with a DM who had just moved to the area and a captain who didn't like divers, and the other was one with about 14 people of which I was the only woman. The level of competitive one-upping that was on that boat was really annoying. Had a *great* trip with woman captain last month, and the two guys on the boat were surprised by how different it was diving in a group of mostly women.

Seriously? A dive boat of mostly women? For me if there is more then 2 of us on a boat its unusual. Often I am the only one.

And I admit that I kinda like it that way. Is that a form of sexism?

Today our dive club had a boat dive, we had three boats. On my boat there were four females (one my wife) and two males (one me). I was definitely outnumbered. It is not unusual for me to have two or three females and a few times I have had five and just me the loan male. One other boat had two out of five females.

i will throw in my 2 cents... please excuse any combined words,my keyboard has a sticky space bar....

I think that much of the "sexism" is perceived, not intended....

I open doors for women, help them with groceries, offer assistance for "women in distress" with cars...

this is not because i feel they cannot do it for themselves.... it is out of respect for them. We have evolved and our brains are hardwired at a basic level that men are hunters/defenders and women are child raisers gatherers.
sorry if that offends any of you,but it is true.

I respect women very much and do the things i do out of respect for what they do.

Many women work full time, then take care of the kids and run the house... Most do much more work at home than the men....
i try and lighten their burden whenever i can...it is NOT because i feel you are inferior,or cant do for yourselves...

i think that the idea that men and women are equal is hogwash...

we are NOT equal... we are very different creatures...

men ARE physically stronger, our brains are wired different, so we have different skills that we are inherently better at.

Women have many areas where they excell...
They have better endurance, higher pain thresholds, they are better at emotional issues like child rearing,etc...

i personally think that women are more important and better evolved than men.

Admitting these differences does not make you a sexist, it makes you a realist.

because men are physically stronger does not make them better....

women usually think things through more and can be better problem solvers.

we both have attributes that compliment each other..this is how we evolved... i see no problem with that..i think that those that have issue with human nature are the ones with problems

So, what 'respect' should a woman receive that a man shouldn't?

People often refer to 'respecting' women. Do they not respect men?

Richard.

I'm mostly a shore diver and I'm a tech diver (GUE). I will say that there have been two charters that I didn't enjoy-- one with a DM who had just moved to the area and a captain who didn't like divers, and the other was one with about 14 people of which I was the only woman. The level of competitive one-upping that was on that boat was really annoying. Had a *great* trip with woman captain last month, and the two guys on the boat were surprised by how different it was diving in a group of mostly women.

that's just how a lot of men are... we are wired that way....
especially when you throw a woman in the mix... men try and peacock...... its hardwired into our brains...

My wife and i are high school sweethearts and have been together for almost 30 years.... in College I used to much prefer going out with her and all her girlfriends as opposed to a bunch of guys..... totally different atmosphere..

---------- Post added April 6th, 2015 at 03:11 PM ----------

So, what 'respect' should a woman receive that a man shouldn't?

People often refer to 'respecting' women. Do they not respect men?

Richard.

of course they do...

society,until very recently, taught men to do those things for women. yes,it is one sided....so what.

do you open the door for an elderly person... following your logic you should not.

Depends on the elder; an obviously robust one, perhaps not. A frail looking one, perhaps so. Ironically, justifying 'chivalrous' behavior by likening it to that shown 'the weak' (e.g.: elderly, young children, obviously handicapped) is something feminists are apt to object to as it's rooted in the idea women 'need' help.

I don't 'always' open (or not open) doors for any particular 'class' of people. If the person obviously needs help, or I'm feeling nice, might do it.

My point is, people often make a point of 'respecting' women, without explaining what respect is to be shown a woman that isn't to a man, and what justification/reason it's based on. Particularly when it's a woman you're not romantically involved in, or interesting in pursuing, so there's no courtship behavior/seduction as a factor.

Richard.

Sure there is sexism in assumptions, but they are based on old norms that are still fairly true so I think that's understandable amd only realistic.

As a female I have to put up with condecending attitudes and other annoyances on occation. Then again, I much more frequently notice that I have earned a huge number of brownie points just for NOT being high maintenance, for actually knowing what I'm doing or otherwise just for acting/knowing in a way that for any male would be minimum standard performance. That must be sexism too but it's to my advantage.

As best you can, you just have to try to be on good behavior as a person, not a male or female. Communicate: let someone know when you don't wish to have help or input and have the confidence to plainly and politely ask for help when you need it, then say thank you graciously.

Jill I don't know if you already wrote the article, but IMO you have your hands full, as all depends of the Perspective of each individual, either women or man, since we are not exactly equal, and it depends as well on the Hormone levels in either woman or man, as well as the bad and good experiences by either woman or man

For example
you will get a Sexist reply if you ask a Feminist woman
you will get a Sexist reply if you ask a Macho/Jerk man
you will get a Sexist reply if you ask a woman with bad male experiences
you will get a Sexist reply if you ask a man with high Testosterone level

you will get a NOT sexist reply if you ask a woman that is not a Feminist
you will get a NOT sexist reply if you ask a man that just simple like to help around
you will get a NOT sexist reply if you ask a woman that just like to gentlemen helping
you will get a NOT sexist reply if you ask a man that just is in his own world day dreaming and did not notice a woman need or wanted help

Then comes in woman that like to flirting and the woman that have high levels of Testosterone and/or low levels of estrogen
Then comes in woman that had very bad luck to meet just jerk man
Then comes in the man that just try to hit on anything that have to legs and moves
Then comes in the man that just give a Shait and have the attitude of " you want woman liberation deal with it carry your on shait"
Then comes in the woman that have the attitude " I deal with my own shait so fuc* off "

Then you have bot woman and man that like to play the game and are good in it.

and you can count a ton of different perspectives of how a man or woman approach different things and/or perceive different things in live.

you have a lot of man that just think that because o woman ask him to help that she wants to get laid with him
you a have a lot of woman that have imbalance of hormones and do really have a bitc* attitude
you have woman that just want to get laid ( no offence in this )
you have man that are nice persons and just want conversation and woman think he is hitting on her.

You have woman that get along better with woman
You have woman that get along better with man
You have man and woman that are easy going and get along with either gender.

same for man.

All this perspectives will show you a sexist or not sexist way of how either man or woman see it

So which way do you want your article to go or how do you want to approach it ???

Woman and Man are different but they complement each other, if you are a man or a woman that just think this is not so, then there is something wrong, and that is OK you can be all the wrong you want to be, that is the nice or not so nice thing, differences between individuals, every individual digs his own grave yard in live in a good or bad way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom