If you were only allowed one reg what would it be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apeks DST (DIN, 5th port upgrade)
Apeks XTX50 (both black, not that yellow silliness)

My reasoning:
-If I only get one set, it needs to do everything that I want it to do. Which means it needs to be compatible with cold and dirty water.
-They have a long track record of being solid regs.
-For all my other needs I just get more of the same. Diving doubles? Just add another 1st stage. Build a stage or want to sidemount? That swivel is awful nice, and it will be identical to all my other regs.
-They are easy to work on, and require a minimum of specialty tools, and being dry sealed will go a long time between needing rebuilds in the first place.
-Rebuild kits a fairly easy to come by, and cover almost all Apeks 1st or 2nd stages depending on the kit, making logistics quite simple. (exception of the flight, but I prefer to pretend that reg doesn't exist...)

I use a SP Mk25 DIN with two G260 second stages for a single tank set up. This was my first set up I've ever bought and found the set up to service all of my needs, even more so after the transition to a long hose.

By number of dives, I dive mostly warm water boat but do hit the cold water northeast quarries and ocean (no ice but thermos can bring it down to mid to high 40s). At this point I don't imagine doing any true cold water diving so an unpacked piston is just fine.

I have two local shops, a SP dealer and an AL dealer. In all honesty, I really like the Apeks line (true parts for life, better price point and the seconds are pretty light) but my local AL dealer is a disaster and I wouldn't trust them to change a hose, let alone service my set up. My SP dealer is a great guy and does nice work. I am a mechanical nerd, but I just don't have the time to spend to learn how to properly service at this point in my life - I'd rather spend my limited free time training and logging dives for now. I do hope to learn to service someday so if that changes I'd likely change my response.

The Mk25 is expensive (cost doesn't matter in this thread) but the swivel and 5th port creates nice routing for my single tank long hose set up. I like the G260 in the line because of the versatility and options afforded. I intended to move more towards tech in the future and a removable faceplate is a benefit. Despite being heavy, it's pretty balanced. Since I have not invested the time understanding servicing I have generally shied away from second hand regs just because I don't know enough about the internals and problems certain models experienced - that's why I am stuck in the buy new category.

I haven't dived the extent of many here but I've tried a handful of set ups. It really comes down for me a trustful person to service my kit locally and general accessibility to a service while on vacation (not a huge deal though as long as the shop has some rental kits), good enough performance and the versatility to transition into some aspects of tech in the future.

Not nearly as many as some, but I have had Teknas (servo), Oceanic Omega and Omega II (servo); Aqualung Conshelfs and Titans, Scubapro Mk 25/G250, Scubapro Mk 25/S600, Apeks XTX100s, and Poseidon Xstream Mk III.

Of them all, easily, the Poseidon. Last reg I will ever buy (well, the new Kraken looks interesting . . .)

I prefer my Zeagle Flathead 7s, but I also have a set of Zeagle FH 6's which I don't notice too much of a difference with.

I have dove with them in all conditions/temperatures to depths up to about 220 FSW with no issues and they breath quite nice.

I've tried all sorts and brands over the years though, currently own the above plus a bunch of Dive Rites, Mares Abyss, Mares Protons, DGXs...

Atomic B2 - that's what we run now on 1st, 2nd and Octo . If money was no object if get one out of unobtainium.

Argonaut Kraken.

N

Make that two.

It's a modern double hose regulator. (Has multiple low pressure and high pressure ports-unlike previous double hose regs that fell out of favor for their lack of the same.) The parts are readily available-can be rebuilt/serviced with with standard tools. Breaths very well and has been tested under ice, deep, and under heavy workload.

Argonaut Kraken History, courtesy of CG45.com

Last edited:
Sherwood Bruts. They keep going and going and going...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom