New Wreck In Picton!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When we first dove the wreck a month and a bit ago a lot of this stuff was not on it. Some of it was though. The grappling hook for instance isn't new, it has line that will never rot and should be removed from the wreck. The crew that took it off just happened to get to it before we did, they also had offered to leave it at Ducks Dive for them to show people what was on the wreck. In the depth they were doing they left the lines that they had to cut to remove the hook. They did go back Sunday and they explained to me that it was their intention was to go on the wreck and remove the rest of the lines that were on the wreck, they had run out of time though (deco racks up pretty quick at 160). I just happened to get their before they did on Sunday. The other line is new, it was not there last weekend.

I do have the bundle of joy that I brought up still in my truck and will be taking a picture of it later today to put on the board. The line needed to be removed for safety reasons, it was a mess and it wouldnt be long before more was lost on it (shot lines get tangled etc).

So the first and only thing I have ever brought off a ship is a tangled mess of nylon line that would never rot. What a find, wonder what I can get for it on e-bay?

Darryl Koster

PS. It was nice to meet the other crew on Sunday, we had a nice chat on the surface. Hope to see you out on those wrecks again (WOW! Awesome video guys)

I had an experience yesterday that has crystalized my feelings on this issue.

I went out for a nice dive on the Rothesay. Well nice until the "divers" showed up.

The current was moderate, nothing horrible. CB and I were able to hover and drift above and around the wreck with no issues. It was a good dive.

Then like an oncoming train, viz went from 30 ft to 3 ft. To my shock and horror - a team of 10 folk in wet suits and gear swam toward us - throwing up silt and pulling themselves along the wreck (and even worse - they were coming downstream). This was not one neophyte diver forced to grab on in a current as thier skills needed work. This was an entire group of divers playing on a 115 year old wreck like it was a jungle gym.

If I found a "virgin" wreck, I know that this group would have done more damage in one dive than Father Time and Mother Tide would have done in a decade.

I learned two valuable lessons.

First - There are good reasons to hold coordinates except from accomplished divers. Maintenance of the archeoligical record, of our maritime history is worth it - and yes..... I have taken my NAS I.

Second - I am officially a "Dive Snob" poo-poophing those who enter the water with little situational awareness and poor skills. History matters and although I understand that there can be damage even with those with the best intentions, low impact diving is key to having good dive sites for my kids to see. 99% of low impact diving is about awareness not skills.

Don't touch the Frick'n wreck DangNabit!

I hereby humbly end my rant and leave the soapbox to the next.......

StatusMaker:
So the first and only thing I have ever brought off a ship is a tangled mess of nylon line that would never rot. What a find, wonder what I can get for it on e-bay?

Darryl

Actually Darryl I thought you had attached your lift bag to your hair piece and sent it up when I pulled it out of the water and threw it back into the boat.

Seriously though, it was good you cut it off and thanks for a GREAT, GREAT time, this is a beautiful wreck!

SoScuba:
So tell me.....how does one remove grappling hooks, cave line, ploy line etc. without touching or disturbing the wreck? I guess this person/s would have special permission from the government to break some of the laws that they support sooo much !
Even those that rant about other people breaking the law decide for themselves what laws are ok for themselves to break!
Is a law a law or not? If someone decides to break a law (for whatever reason) then he has no right to tell another to abide by the same law! Is it "splitting hairs"? Sure it is. But the point is that even those who say dont touch anything on the wreck (because its illegal you know) and then remove something (for whatever reason) are simply taking their own ideals and use them to justify their actions. Someone who takes a glass jar off a wreck and someone who takes a grappling hook off a wreck are breaking the same law. They simply justify it in their own way.
What were you saying about human psychology Steve???!!!

Well...............?

All this from a TDI Deco diver. What a surprise. Maroons of your calibre set about destroying the wreck by laying all the BS lines and then you condemn the folks left to correct your mistakes. I will be very impolite and answer your question with a question. How long do you think the masts will remain standing if boats are allowed to grapple a line which is left strung between them.

Great job to Pat and his crew and Darryl and his crew for your efforts on this one.

JamesP:
All this from a TDI Deco diver. What a surprise. Maroons of your calibre set about destroying the wreck by laying all the BS lines and then you condemn the folks left to correct your mistakes. I will be very impolite and answer your question with a question. How long do you think the masts will remain standing if boats are allowed to grapple a line which is left strung between them.

Great job to Pat and his crew and Darryl and his crew for your efforts on this one.

It was a "TDI Deco diver" that removed the grapnel from the wreck! The same "TDI Deco diver" recognized the potential for damage to the wreck and cut the line running between the masts.

You do us all a disservice when you paint everyone with the same brush. It would almost be like me saying... Oh! Another evangelical GUE holier-than-thou post. "What a surprise."

There have been a small fraction of us instructing within each and every agency that have held the highest standards since long before GUE came about. Is it your intention to make diving in general better? Or, just forward the aims of your GUE friends?

BTW other than the political BS, I agree with your post.
The mechanical advantage of a line strung between two points and then deflected in the middle is phenomenal. This careless, misguided act could have easily destroyed the unique beauty of this wreck in an instant.
Anyone who would drag an anchor or a grapnel into a wreck, or any part of it, for any reason, in this day and age... can only be described as greedy and selfish... and should be shot! I plan to have the item in the picture mounted as a monument to stupidity.

NeutralBuoyancy:
It was a "TDI Deco diver" that removed the grapnel from the wreck! The same "TDI Deco diver" recognized the potential for damage to the wreck and cut the line running between the masts.

You do us all a disservice when you paint everyone with the same brush. It would almost be like me saying... Oh! Another evangelical GUE holier-than-thou post. "What a surprise."

There have been a small fraction of us instructing within each and every agency that have held the highest standards since long before GUE came about. Is it your intention to make diving in general better? Or, just forward the aims of your GUE friends?

BTW other than the political BS, I agree with your post.
The mechanical advantage of a line strung between two points and then deflected in the middle is phenomenal. This careless, misguided act could have easily destroyed the unique beauty of this wreck in an instant.
Anyone who would drag an anchor or a grapnel into a wreck, or any part of it, for any reason, in this day and age... can only be described as greedy and selfish... and should be shot! I plan to have the item in the picture mounted as a monument to stupidity.

Dude,
It is SoScuba that is doing you a disservice. I also own a TDI Deco card. It does not qualify me to do this dive and it most definitely does not qualify me to criticize the clean up work done by those two crews.

Eric__U:
Were you guys diving mix or air on the wreck ?

Not sure who you're asking but we were certainly using a suitable mix. The bottom is at about 170.

i was just wondering cuz i didn`t think tdi deco is a helium course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom