Techflex vs Miflex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hana L

New
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to scuba diving and my instructor uses rubber hose for his regulator. It seems like Miflex is the latest thing. Which is better, Miflex or rubber hose? He's got problem replacing the techflex as well, anyone knows where it can be bought in singapore or online? Thanks!

IMO stick to rubber. The miflex hoses (long hose/primary) build up memory over time and they are buoyant in water. I our group all the divers that gave them a try is back to rubber. I do use the very short HP miflex hoses on my stages without any regrets thus far.

I use Airflex or whatever from dive rite (i think?), one of my sets is in rubber. It doesn't really matter, except when scratching on your skin...
I have a preference for the flex because it allows for slightly neater routings, however it breaks more easily as I already almost got through a hose in 60 dives (I have to say I've been rough on it).

The braided hoses are much lighter. They are, thus, floaty since they take up the same volume.

The long ones do have a memory effect but they do remember the usual position so over time the memory effect seems less over time. (But that's with diving every day all the time).

Braided hoses are much much more flexible. If you are using a reg with the hose routed over the shoulder, using a braided hose makes that position bearable for me. I cannot really use rubber hoses route over the shoulder because they pull constantly in comparison.

I bought a Miflex hose last year in Singapore, I think it was at Waikiki on Crawford Lane, it was certainly off N. Bridge Road up from the Intercontinental Hotel where I was staying.

I have not had any memory issues with any of my Miflex long hoses so far.

Hi, thanks for all the input... we will stick to rubber hose with techflex for the time being. Anyone knows where to get the techflex mesh sleeve? Nobody seems to be selling it anymore. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom