Achy neck after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find I can alleviate it by stretching before during and after a dive,trying to be interested in what's in comfortable viewing angles and Alleve.I'm in the water 2 hours a day or more so a lot of my worn out spots(neck,knees,ankles etc...)stay sore.

Thanks for all your input! I am sure it's just muscular- not as sore this morning :) I need to resist Google!

Yes, that will do it. It happens to me often.

Be proud of your good horizontal trim. Resist the temptation to be envious of divers with poor trim and no neck ache. :wink:

i am very proud of my trim :)

After yet another painful dive, I explained to my buddy that he needed to stop dropping back and above me as we dived. He explained that he liked to be in that position, because he could see me so well. I told him that it was the opposite for me, and keeping track of him was becoming a, well, a real pain in the neck.

Hehe that may resolve my issue! My husband seems to be in that exact position!

MrsNic, I suggest a couple of things. First with more diving the neck discomfort will be less, at least that is my experience. Second, vary your head position during the dive- turn to each side, look don, roll your head occasionally, and repeat every several minutes. I twill help.
DivemasterDennis

Do you tension your neck muscles without reason? What is your diving suit like?
Keep your neck relaxed and mobile.
Excercise on land.
Hope this helps.

The emphasis on horizontal trim does tend to put strain on the neck when a diver is actively looking anywhere but down. While such trim may be good diving practice, I often like to drift neutrally buoyant in a vertical position to look for mid-water critters to film. When adopting horizontal trim, I'm mostly looking just in front of me or below me for subjects.

I don't know about my neck aching, but everything else hurts after a couple of dives! :wink:

This has far more to do with me being far less in-shape than I should be. Couple with being only 20 dives in at this point, and my trim has been feet-heavy as I've adjusted from my rental drysuit/undergarments to the ones I purchased.

But so far, no , no neck pain. But after lugging all my gear, and my girlfriend's to the set-up point, yeah ... stuff hurts after a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom