Taxi Pricing Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have copied a post from another scuba dive forum (with his permission) regarding his/her taxi experience during a stay in Cozumel.It may enlighten those who have taxi price questions.

Cozumel Taxi Rates

Mostly for new travelers to Cozumel.

Taxis are supposed to each have a rate sheet that shows the cost to go from point A to point B. They are supposed to show you this sheet if you ask them (always politley).

Found on the last trip (March 21-28) that many of the cabs do not carry (so they say) the rate sheets. Asked four cabs lined up downtown in front of Casa Mexicana if we could see the sheet. None had one available.

Inquired about rates to get from Hotel Vista del Mar (next to Casa Mexicana) to the International Pier (Dive with Martin shop) and had a variety of rates quoted ranging from 85 pesos all the way up to 160 pesos. Ended up the 85 pesos was the correct rate (at least for that week).

Best thing to do if using a taxi is have the hotel desk clerk call the taxi dispatch station and have a cab sent for you at the correct price for the destination you are going to.

One more example - asked a cab how much to the airport from Vista del Mar and was quoted 120 pesos - hotel called the dispatch station and they sent one for 80 pesos.

Have been going to Czm since 1999 and this is the worst we have experienced in getting a fare that we feel is the correct going rate.

One last comment - for those of you on a wheat and corn free diet you may want to try the spinach salad at Rock and Java. Ask for extra eggs and have the black bean soup as a side. Sure do miss the old days when the pool table was there.

One last-last comment. Never found downtown to be overly crowded, even when two ships out front and 4 at the international pier. Maybe more people out on the Fury boats or at the old Nachi Cocum (sp). Sure do miss stopping there for intervals.

Hope all enjoy their trips to the island.​

You can usually find a current version of the Taxi Rate Sheet in pdf format to download at the CozumelMyCozumel.com site, in the discussion forum. I make it habit to check that site for updates before every trip, and have the Rate Sheet with me on both iPad and iPhone when I go to Cozumel.

ALSO, and this is VERY IMPORTANT, if you are going to use Taxis on Cozumel, ALWAYS pay in Pesos. Taxis are STILL exchanging Pesos for Dollars at a 10-1 exchange rate, even while the real exchange rate is over 14-1. Paying in Pesos gets you an effective 30+% discount. People who never want to exchange for Pesos are usually getting taken at most (not all) places on Cozumel, but the worst of the worst are the Taxis.

A lot of times, the drivers will also try to double the fare
if there are more than two passengers, with or without luggage.
The point made by DjDiver Dan about paying in pesos is right on.

Frank

Last edited:
Does anyone have a link to a taxi zonal map? The nice folks at the taxi union have a friendly web site in both English and Spanish but for some reason the tab for 'Price' does not work (I am truely shocked!!).
As best as I can tell the downtown 'colonial' zone runs from Melgar (waterfront) to 30 Ave (?) on the East and from Airport road on the North down to Chudraui, within that zone point to point is 25 - 30 pesos. It would nice to have a real map that shows the actual zones. On the Cozumel lnfo sticky, Christi has a very nice chart listing rates from downtown to various points on the island.

If you are staying at Scuba Club (like the invation this summer) or anywhere out side the downtown area the rates become confused. As examples from SSC or BA what should the rates be to El Moro, Casa Mission, the Caleta or the Money Bar all of which, to the best of my knowlage, are in different zones.

Another point to remember is that finding a taxi that can make change is as difficult as finding a Unicorn.

Another point to remember is that finding a taxi that can make change is as difficult as finding a Unicorn.[/QUOTE]

Yet when a local goes to pay the fare, like to and from the dive shop/caleta,
the drivers pull out a roll of pesos/dollars that would choke a mule!

Spent a week in Cozumel Easter week and the taxi fares were all over the board. Worst I have ever seen. And that was even if we had the hotel call a cab for us. It was the first time that I have stayed on the north end so it was not like we had our pick of cabs.

Tom

Keep in mind that taking a cab at certain spots, you pay a premium. For example, at Mega, or in front of the ferry. That could account for some of the variation. I was in Isla Mujares last week and caught a cab in front of the Cancun bus depot (premium charges applied there) to the Isla Mujares ferry terminal for 70 pesos. On the way back, at the ferry terminal, the taxi jefe told me $10 US. I shook my head, walked 50 steps out of the underground parking lot to to a cab line up on the street and the fare was 60 pesos.

Or do what I do, know the general fare ranges - when you walk up to the cab guy don't ask how much - say $8 to town (or whatever it is supposed to be)? If he says anything but yes, walk and they will quickly change their answer lol. I am not haggling with them, just letting them know that I know what it costs. :)

You know Christi posted charts here that cover some of it. Nowhere near as nice as some on the mainland where you can click the to and from on the map and get the fare, but it is a great aid in CZM:

Christi's taxi post

Does anyone have a link to a taxi zonal map? The nice folks at the taxi union have a friendly web site in both English and Spanish but for some reason the tab for 'Price' does not work (I am truely shocked!!).
Got a link to that site...??

From Christi's thread: "For reference, "downtown" is from Airport road to 11th from North to South, and then from Ave. 30 to the waterfront from East to West." The rest can be taken from her chart, I think.

Keep in mind that taking a cab at certain spots, you pay a premium. For example, at Mega, or in front of the ferry. That could account for some of the variation. I was in Isla Mujares last week and caught a cab in front of the Cancun bus depot (premium charges applied there) to the Isla Mujares ferry terminal for 70 pesos. On the way back, at the ferry terminal, the taxi jefe told me $10 US. I shook my head, walked 50 steps out of the underground parking lot to to a cab line up on the street and the fare was 60 pesos.
It'd be nice to know those spots.

You know Christi posted charts here that cover some of it. Nowhere near as nice as some on the mainland where you can click the to and from on the map and get the fare, but it is a great aid in CZM:

Christi's taxi post
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom