Sidekick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find the price a little too high to compete with the Archon light. Maybe because it's a product oriented to the GoPro only public?

The D11v has 860 lumens (versus 600 lumens), a 110 degree spread (versus 90 degrees) and cost around $60 (versus $150). Even if we consider that the specs on the D11v might be a little lower than advertised and that you will need to spend an extra $20 on a decent battery+charger, it's still a better bang for the buck. At the $150 price point, there is an even more powerful Archon light (can't find model number!).

Also keep in mind that even a 110 degrees spread won't cover the whole GoPro frame in wide mode, 90 degrees much less - which surprises me because this Sidekick was developed by a dive related company with the GoPro in mind.

I recently dove with a single D11v and was pleasantly surprised by the outcome (video here).

For better or worse, I ended up backing the Kickstarter and should be getting the Duo in any day now (hopefully my trip to Key Largo starting this weekend:confused6:). We'll see how well it does with such a narrow field of view, but I at least expect that it will be built solidly and function flawlessly as every other L&M product I've used.

From what I can tell, the flood reflector assembly looks exactly the same as the ones in my SOLA. I'm thinking that they opted to use a design which they already had to keep costs down and get a product out in the market sooner. From what I can gather off the Gopro website, 90° will mostly fill the frame when used with the medium view being just 4.4° shy in the vertical department.

At any rate, I'm hoping that the sidekick plays nicely with my SOLA 800 in a dual light configuration; if not, at least it'll work nicely as a Fire Helmet light with the flood/throw beams after I make a mounting bracket for it.

They oughta call it the "back-scatter" if it's really going to be used that close to the lens.

LightAndMotionSideKickDuoLight.jpg

---------- Post added April 14th, 2015 at 10:26 PM ----------

I recently dove with a single D11v supported by at least two, powerful cannister lights and was pleasantly surprised by the outcome (video here).

Fixed it for you.

:D

I am surprised any vendor is advertising these as shipping already. I backed the kickstarter project and have not received my unit yet. The recent email said the kickstarter Duos should be shipping this week or next. I would think it should be at least May before stores have these to ship.

... From what I can gather off the Gopro website, 90° will mostly fill the frame when used with the medium view being just 4.4° shy in the

The D11V has a 110 angle, here is how it looks on medium mode:

archon coverage.jpg

RJP, of course the canister lights help brighten up where they are pointing, but the archon does a good job anyway - look on the left side of the image above, thats lit by the archon only. For a $50 light it's decent enough.

View attachment 206793

RJP, of course the canister lights help brighten up where they are pointing, but the archon does a good job anyway - look on the left side of the image above, thats lit by the archon only. For a $50 light it's decent enough.

I use the archon 11 as well and I agree it is a great light for the price of 50.00.

View attachment 206793

Have two of the Mako version of that light... agree they are nice for the price. Used them recently in Truk as fill lights for two Sola 1200's.

I'm a little confused as to what benefits the side kick offers. Can some one please explain this a little bit further.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom