Typhoon slams Chuuk, on track to hit Yap harder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The locals really don't like the tourism industry in chuck eh...! :(

That is so messed up, I don't even know what to say.

Unemployment is going to go through the roof. Was destroying Chuuk's economy worth it? To grab a couple of outboard motors and a marine radio? I really hope it was.

I'm starting to wonder if I'd be better off cancelling my June trip to be honest. If they're that vehemently against the dive industry, it makes you question how safe you and your own gear is.

I spoke with Blue Lagoon last night on the phone. They were able to confirm my reservation. I'm a bit more confident now.

I have also spoken to Blue Lagoon late last week. I think their email is very eratic and you can imagine how many emails they would have received. About eight from me alone. Internet is not that great at the best of times, but as I said at least as of Easter an Australian group said things were operating quite ok there and diving conditions were pretty good.

Truk is a very poor place in my experience and I suspect those who have best access to our tourist dollar do better than those who don't. That in no way excuses what occurred. Its quite sad, but I guess that is where some resentment comes from. Tragic to see that boat burned.

I will be there next Wednesday so if there is internet access I will try and tell people what I find and the diving conditions.

Paolo

"They" are not against the dive industry, there are just a lot of sh!t heads I ran into on the island during and after the storm. The Blue Lagoon resort and other dive operators were nothing but professional and wonderful people to work with. Most of the local were nothing but helpful during and after the storm as well. Though there were many "unsavory" types taking advantage of the "rich" westerners and their fellow islanders immediately following the storm. To put it this way, it was worse than Iraq and Afghanistan, I have NEVER seen such wanton looting and destruction simply for the sake of looting and destruction. I guess the alcohol problems that exist in the region combined with the storm and unsavory elements that may not appreciate westerners on their island created the "perfect storm" if you will. I am just glad guns are not prevalent on the island, as casually as these "unsavory types" were slinging around machetes, I think it would have been VERY bad were guns as available as they are in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The locals really don't like the tourism industry in chuck eh...! :(
It's actually "Territoriality Posturing" --a kind of tribal/nationalistic or even just "gangster neighborhood" punk thug attitude. By the Compact of Free Association with the US, everybody is on assisted living and the whole FSM Country/Chuuk State is a "welfare state", with all its socioeconomic & political consequences & circumstances, and at its worst negative connotations ('nuff said).

Look at any inner-city ghetto here in America, especially after a natural disaster (example Hurricane Katrina and the Lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans), and what happened there. IMHO --That's similar to what was going on in the islands of Chuuk Lagoon/Atoll for the first weeks after the Typhoon. . . ("Dog Eat Dog Mentality", and weak unprepared local & national government response).

Last edited:
These are excerpts from a letter written by Kim Forbragd, photographer/videographer on the Odyssey:

"…Through March 31, my husband and I worked in the scuba diving tourism industry on a live-aboard dive boat in Truk Lagoon, which is located in Chuuk, Federated States of Micronesia. As you may know, Chuuk was hit very hard by Typhoon Maysak on Sunday, March 29.

We nearly lost our lives trying to save the dive boat before the typhoon pushed us into the rocks. Within 30 minutes of hitting the rocks, the looters were swimming out to us. The storm was still raging and these criminals were willing to risk their lives for the opportunity to steal whatever we had on that boat…

Defending yourself ... against one person is not an easy task... Defending yourself against a mob carrying machetes and clubs is even harder...

By the grace of God, we escaped with our lives for the second time that day. All the boats that went on the rocks were looted and vandalized over the next couple days. It was not enough for them to steal the items from the boats. They smashed everything to bits, sprayed graffiti, and defecated everywhere. If they are willing to do that to inanimate objects, what would they be willing to do to people?

We are now anxiously awaiting our flight out of this country, which leaves here at about 3:30 pm today. It is Thursday here, April 2. The governor of this state and his officials have predicted a massive shortage of drinking water and food due to destruction of local fruit and vegetables. Their media has indicated many people will be out of food and water by the weekend. If that happens, I believe the people here will turn on each other and the looting will begin anew, but this time at an incomprehensible level of viciousness. My husband and I are praying we can escape with our lives yet a third time…"

Last edited:
Is there solid evidence the locals committed arson?

Is there solid evidence the locals committed arson?

The pics of the burned down yacht?? The yacht did not catch fire on its own so definitely arson. Not sure that constitutes evidence that it was 'the locals' but it certainly wasn't the Siren crew. Current theory is the looters/vandals were trying to cover evidence of their crimes.

The pics of the burned down yacht?? The yacht did not catch fire on its own so definitely arson. Not sure that constitutes evidence that it was 'the locals' but it certainly wasn't the Siren crew. Current theory is the looters/vandals were trying to cover evidence of their crimes.

---------- Post added April 18th, 2015 at 10:00 AM ----------

What need do they have to cover up the looting,no one is going to be caught. Who benefits from the fire?

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom