Turning lights on and off under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was our AOW instructor, not OW class

At 25 dives do you really think there is much difference between AOW and OW ?????

I am at 500 dives and still do not consider myself an advanced diver. Furthermore being an advanced diver does not qualify one to enter a wreck unless the purpose is to die.

The light is turned on and left on... That is the safest... Drop it, Easy to find... eliminate the chance it won't turn back on when needed... Always dive with New/Fresh - Fully charged batteries...

And you should not be doing the diving you want/are doing... Inside a wreck is no place for you, With the few dives you have...

Jim....

I never said I was advanced - I just said it wasn't our OW, but our AOW.

I understand and I don't mean to beat up on you. There are many of us who are disturbed by the message that PADI seems to give with the AOW course. To imply that by taking a couple of adventure dives that one is now qualified to take on some of the more dangerous dives is a huge disservice to new and developing divers and can be dangerous. Diving is a process and taking a AOW course after just having completed an OW course can give a false sense of security to a new diver.

For an instructor to lead an AOW class into such an environment as you describe is unbelievable.

the rule is never turn off your primary light at night or in an overhead/enclosed situation.
This.

When that's said, I have to admit that I've turned off my SOLA during more than one night dive to see the mareel properly (blocking the beam fully on that particular light is kind of difficult). But I have a backup light attached to my harness, DIR style, and I know I'm able to deploy it in total darkness. I've checked. So if I my primary light refuses to turn on again, I deploy my backup and give my buddy the finger (thumb).

BTW, our PADI Instructor took a group of 7 divers with ages ranges from 22 to 55 for our “Deep” dive through a hallway within a wreck – penetrating. Total swim through in this scenario was 3 minutes. It was great… curious what the forum experts say to that.
I'm not a forum expert, nor a member of the SCUBA police, and how you dive is your decision. Now that's said, personally I'd never do a dive like that. I don't understand the allure of swimthroughs, and the thought of having anything above me blocking my access to the surface with all that wonderful air in case SHTF scares the beejesus out of me, so I have no reason to do those kinds of dives. But it's your risk acceptance that decides your actions. The fact that I consider an action like that from a PADI instructor completely unacceptable is based on my risk acceptance level.

In the defense of our instructor(s). Our pre-dive briefing and 'training' was that we should never enter a wreck without the proper training -- which he could teach us should we wanted in the "wreck" specialty.

He then asked if we were interested in a very small swim through within the wreck that was very diver friendly with a guide as the roof along the route had multiple cut outs to swim out of, so it wasn't a fully enclosed route. We had one instructor at the front, one at the end. The whole route took 2-3 minutes.

ALSO
as an FYI, the lights I'm referring to would be attached to my tray, which is attached to me... and I have an extra light on me as well.

" PADI Instructor took a group of 7 divers with ages ranges from 22 to 55 for our “Deep” dive through a hallway within a wreck – penetrating. Total swim through in this scenario was 3 minutes. It was great… curious what the forum experts say to that.""

I personally would NEVER take a chance like that even with AOW students! In my opinion it was irresponsible. But I am a very conservative diver.

Just did our AOW and they say not to turn lights on or off under water due to them getting flooded.

I always thought that this was recommended for dive lights with filaments, since the filaments were most likely to fail when being turned on/off. I often turn my screw on/off LED light (DRIS 1000 lumen) during daytime dives to peek into crevices and haven't had an issue with flooding. I do try to limit turning lights on/off during night dives, though, just in case.

Turning a light on and off is going to increase the chance of a flood. I have turned lights on and off thousands of times underwater and I have had very few failures. I would not worry about it at all.

I think the advice is somewhat old school and pertains to old type bulbs that had filaments in them. Turning them on and off is more likely to blow the old bulbs. We use to tell people if they wanted to see what a night dive looked like with no lights, press the light head into your belly and it will block all light, rather than playing with a switch.

Blowing a light on a night dive is somewhat of a big deal, saving your batteries in a LEd video light makes perfect sense for a day dive and I don't worry about it at all. kinda like saying,,, don't turn your car off when making a quick stop at the bank, because it may not re-start.. true but probably not something to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom