Help for Oceanic Atom 2.0 for Deco dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fatiger

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have an Oceanic Atom 2.0 use it for recreation dive computer and bottom timer for deco dive. When I use it for deco dive, I’ll set it into gauge mode, using the transmitter read back gas as a backup gauge.
I read the manual say this DC can do staged decompression diving, so I would like to set it back to dive computer mode and use it as a backup dive plan for deco dive. (still use the table as prime dive plan.)
I try once and try to switch (tell the computer I switch to 50% and 100%, but it still calculate as I decompress by air 21% only (has to deco for a very long time!)

Can anyone tell me, without the 2nd and 3rd transmitter on my 50% and 100% stage bottle, can it still calculate the deco time? In the manual, it say I can set Gas2- 50% and Gas3- 100%. How I can tell the DC I already switch from my 21% back air to 50% stage? (Step of pushing the button!):(:(:(

after reading it carefully! I still not getting it! Can I use it without transmitter.........:(:(:(:(

Can I use it without transmitter

If I'm reading it right, yes.

During NORM Dives, the ATOM can be manually switched from GAS 1 to GAS 2 to GAS 3, changing the FO2 displays and calculations... and IF TMTs (Trasmitters) are used...
That IF suggests you can use it without transmitters. The restrictions are that you can't switch gases on the surface, and you can't switch gasses if you are reading your buddy's pressure.

Reading a little further:

Switching of Gas Mixes can only to [sic] be performed during the time that a Gas Switch Preview screen is being displayed. These are accessed from a NORM DIVE MAIN screen.
It then goes on to say how to access the Gas Switch Preview screen, and then how to switch from GAS 1 to GAS 2, from GAS 2 back to GAS 1 and from GAS 2 to GAS 3.

Seems to be a pretty cumbersome process, particularly on a computer with four buttons.

There's a ScubaBoard member DiveNav who runs a website offering dive computer training with simulation. Your specific unit isn't on there, but it's listed in the pulldown menu so maybe they're working on it.

........There's a ScubaBoard member DiveNav who runs a website offering dive computer training with simulation. Your specific unit isn't on there, but it's listed in the pulldown menu so maybe they're working on it.

Blackwood,
thanks for the mention, but, unfortunately, for now, we are not developing a class for the Atom 2.0 as the manufacturer has shifted priority to the - coming very soon - Atom 3.0.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I have used the atom 2.0 as a back up computer to my VR3.
One thing the manual does not say is that you can only use the gas switching feature if you have transmitters 2 and 3 set to SELF use. You do not have to have a 2nd or 3rd transmitter active or even on. Or the first one for that matter. If you have them set for buddy use, it will not allow you to switch gasses underwater. It will even let you set the gasses on land, just not switch them underwater. retarded.

Also be aware that when you switch gasses, you will no long see your tank pressure. Gasses are associated with transmitters, so when you switch gasses, it no longer shows the data from trans number 1. Just be aware.

Also realise that the computer does not look ahead. All deco calcs are also done assuming you will remain on current gas throught the remaining dive. It only changes the calced deco once you change your current gas. It is also very conservative with its calcs.

Pm me with any questions

Hi Jimmy,
Thanks for the info.

However, I still have problem to set the atom for deco dive with EAN50 and EAN100.

Correct me if I am mistaken.

You said first, set the transmitter 2-3 for self use, then set the ppO2 to 50 for gas 2, and 100 for gas 3, right?

But then how to press the buttons (operate) this atom when you change gas?

I tried it lately but can not figure it out how to switch gas during dive mode or on land.

I have used the atom 2.0 as a back up computer to my VR3.
One thing the manual does not say is that you can only use the gas switching feature if you have transmitters 2 and 3 set to SELF use. You do not have to have a 2nd or 3rd transmitter active or even on. Or the first one for that matter. If you have them set for buddy use, it will not allow you to switch gasses underwater. It will even let you set the gasses on land, just not switch them underwater. retarded.

Also be aware that when you switch gasses, you will no long see your tank pressure. Gasses are associated with transmitters, so when you switch gasses, it no longer shows the data from trans number 1. Just be aware.

Also realise that the computer does not look ahead. All deco calcs are also done assuming you will remain on current gas throught the remaining dive. It only changes the calced deco once you change your current gas. It is also very conservative with its calcs.

Pm me with any questions

TYou can not change which gas you are on at the surface. It defaults to gas 1 at the start of the dive.

From what I read. You are able to change and set the various gasses.

To switch Gas during a dive:
During a normal dive mode under water. Press the m button (top left button) and hold it for two secs. That will bring up a screen that will say" tmt self use"

Once that is up, do a quick press of the same button to scroll through the different gasses. Should say gas 1 and the fio2. Gas 2 and so on. Once you have the gas you desire to switch to displayed. Press and hold down the button again for 2 secs. At that time it should perform the gas change. It usually alarms a lot because the po2 is usually around 1.6 at the time.

I am on a phone right now so there might be alot of typing errors.

Let me now if you have any additional questions

This doesn't strike me as a a good idea at all. Do you even know what algorithm it uses to calculate deco times?

It uses the same algorithm for rec dives. Using a computer like this as a back up is not a big deal. If you have one and already use it at a bottom timer, why not turn on more features? It is obviously not a purpose built deco computer but that is no excuse not to use the features. It is a great reason to better understand the use and limitations of them. Knowledge is power.

BTW they state that the algorithm for decompression is the Buhlmann ZHL-16c model

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom