ATX/XTX20 Cold Water Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DenbyS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is it possible, and more importantly worthwhile, if diving cold water, to upgrade ATX or XTX20 secondary regs for cold water by installing the heat exchanger at the hose connection?

I have primary regs with cold water kits. I have acquired the above seconds and wonder if I should and can simply upgrade the seconds and if I did, what would that gain me in 38 degree to 50 degree water?

I wouldn't bother, but that's just me. What it involves is literally just buying the part and swapping it over. Part number is AP2031 for the AT20, not sure if it's the same for the XTX's, but I believe it is.

I wouldn't bother, but that's just me. What it involves is literally just buying the part and swapping it over. Part number is AP2031 for the AT20, not sure if it's the same for the XTX's, but I believe it is.

That's what I thought would be involved. I was also wondering if it there was much real benefit as long as I had a sealed first. I questioned the value but thought I'd ask others. Thanks for the quick response.

your first is where you will likely see the advantage, but in water that warm it will be a nonissues. Sub 40F it can start to get interesting, but not enough to warrant the hassle of getting the part

Personally just for the safety and mental confidence that you have the right gear, I would either get better first stages or get the upgrade kit. I usually use APEXS for everything but for pony and stage bottles I have been buying DIVE RITE. We dive roughly 38F under 70ft (2nd thermocline). The shop and very knowledgable owner of the dive shop said the first and seconds I was buying would be fine but I chose to have them put on the cold water kits that make them good to 28F in case I decided to dive around ocean ice and just for the mental confidence in my gear. While I've had freeflows on scubapro when I first started diving, they didn't mentally bother me but gas runs out pretty quick in low pressure ports (faster than high pressure ports). You may already know that and I may just be typing too much but XTX20 just doesn't make me confident and I wouldn't recommend them for a family member so I wouldn't recommend them for you.

Back
Top Bottom