Honduras is not Kansas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure how much "gun control" there actually is, but no shortage of crime.

A lot of the posted warnings for Honduras apply to the mainland and not the Bay Islands.....yes there is crime on Roatan and there are areas you should avoid, particularly at night. This is no different than any major Canadian or US city. We have street gangs in Vancouver and innocent people have been killed by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Honduran authorities are very aware of how important a source of hard currency the diving and tourism industries on the Bay Islands bring to the country. While incidents of theft, armed robbery and worse do occur on Roatan and to a lesser extent on Utila and Guanaja, it is nowhere like what is going on in San Pedro Sula or Tegucigalpa. SPS has the dubious distinction of being the world's most dangerous city for homicide outside of an actual war zone. Be aware of your surroundings when traveling to Honduras, and if you don't know the place well, my suggestion is to enter and exit via Roatan's international airport.

I am not sure why this was posted in the Bay Islands forum. This incident happened off the mainland near the Guatemala border...

I grew up in El Salvador (rated #1 in the world for most dangerous countries and most violent crime until Honduras de-throned us, we've been sitting #2 since). I can say that SPS and Teguz are NOT places you want to be. Roatan, however, is a very different story. I trusted my wife to drive from one end of the island to the other alone repeatedly last time we were down there. She speaks no spanish and isn't acclimated to the "exciting" nature of third-world, war-torn countries. Utila, Roatan, and Guanaja are not as safe as a Sandal's resort, no, but they're not really "Honduras," either. Closer to a big US city (and much better than the "bad" ones like Detroit/Chicago/NYC/LA).

As for gun control.....that whole region sets a precedent for 2A advocates: VERY stringent gun control laws. To the point where the only people with guns are the ones breaking all of the other laws anyway, and are the ones you don't want WITH guns.

From my research Honduras is fairly gun-friendly. That helps put it close to the top for our retirement plans.
At home in Texas, I carry a .45...I don't feel the need while on Roatan.

From my research Honduras is fairly gun-friendly. That helps put it close to the top for our retirement plans.
At home in Texas, I carry a .45...I don't feel the need while on Roatan.

Might want to do a wee bit more research.

Back
Top Bottom