OK to use drysuit without lp hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ouch. Just...no. Don't do it. The whole point in the pool is to manage how to use the suit - because its basically a giant balloon around you. If the BCD hose wont fit, and I don't know any that would reach that far - or have the correct fitting - I'd just wait till the drysuit hose is on your first stage and do it properly.

If you have a regulator set with the alternate air integrated into the low pressure inflator, the lp hose is bigger than standard and will not fit on a dry suit inflator.

correct fitting? all of my BC and drysuit hoses are interchangeable except for a few specific drysuit hoses that won't fit because they have a big flare on the end and the inflator gets in the way. The nipples on the suit and the wings are the same unless you have a bc with a non-standard fitting.

No point in getting in the pool without an inflator, isn't going to do you any good unless you are just verifying the suit doesn't leak

would that not depend on whether the valve has a CEJN or Seatec nipple?

I guess I'm just used to all of the inflators being standardized for what I use. All of the bc's I've used all had standard inflator connectors, as have all of the drysuits I've owned, used.

That said I guess it could be the CEJN drysuit inflator, in which case I'd heavily advise the OP to switch to a standard inflator as they aren't that expensive and it will save a lot of headaches as the CEJN is an abysmal fitting.

I suspect he has an integrated octo. Those connectors are typically different than the standard.

I dive bpw hog wing it does fit (tried it) but the hose I think is to short. Gotta try it. The suit is a northern diver vortex

on a 6' dive in a pool, you will be fine. There is no need to play around with using your wing inflator hose. I commonly go to 20 feet before adding gas to the suit.

which is fine if you plan for it especially if you have air in the suit to begin with, issue is it looks like this is a new diver trying to get used to the drysuit, and that's a bit rough if you can't play with the buoyancy. Similar to having a diver jumping in with a wing and not allowing him to touch the inflator or dump valves but figure out how the wing works that way...

which is fine if you plan for it especially if you have air in the suit to begin with, issue is it looks like this is a new diver trying to get used to the drysuit, and that's a bit rough if you can't play with the buoyancy. Similar to having a diver jumping in with a wing and not allowing him to touch the inflator or dump valves but figure out how the wing works that way...

I think the OP is just excited about their new suit and wants to get in the water with it, but wants to be sure they aren't going to damage their suit. I don't see anything wrong with that.

The amount of squeeze he may feel in 6 ft of water is also somewhat dependent on the undergarments. If have my heavy ones on it's not that bad. If I just use the underarmor cold gear base layer? Things can get pinched pretty hard.
I do initial weight checks for dry suit students in the pool with just the suit and undergarments on after they have burped the suit as thoroughly as possible on the surface. The idea though is to get them to just start to sink. Then we add the gear and the inflator gets hooked up.
Sometimes once we get the weight right we may actually have to add weights to allow them to get decent practice with the inflator and the dump valve in the pool since they need so little air in the suit. I have clip weights that we can add to the d rings on the harness to allow them to actually inflate and dump while seeing the results.

Reactions: RJP

Back
Top Bottom