NA-EM1 buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hezishohat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi

I got my Nauticam housing for the OMD E-M1
like it very much, thanks for all the advices from you guys.

I use it with 2xYS-D1, port 65 (12-50 or 60 mm), Sola 800
if you have a similar configuration, how did you set the buoyancy?
did you use floating arms? what size?
or floating foam.

Thanks, Hezi

Two points: There's quite a bit of variety between rigs (claps, accessories etc), that you will ultimately have to fine tune it yourself when it gets down to it. And secondly, I found that I needed more buoyancy than I originally thought.

I use an EM1 in a nauticam, stock handles, z240 strobes, and either a 60mm macro in 65port with flip holder and subsee +5 or 8mm fish eye in 4.33" dome. In macro mode, I also have a sola 1200 on the hot shoe, and a gopro on an accessory mount. For arms I use a pair of 9" and 7" arm from iDas. I used to use iDas clamps, but now use nauticam clamps. Setup macro, I use 10x jumbo stix floats, and its slightly negative. For wide angle without the sola or gopro, I only need 8 floats. Though lately for wide angle, I remove the 7" arms and only use 6 floats. The subsee is rather beastly, that alone is 2 jumbo floats, maybe more. I prefer the stix floats vs float arms, just more flexible.

Hi

I got my Nauticam housing for the OMD E-M1
like it very much, thanks for all the advices from you guys.

I use it with 2xYS-D1, port 65 (12-50 or 60 mm), Sola 800
if you have a similar configuration, how did you set the buoyancy?
did you use floating arms? what size?
or floating foam.

Thanks, Hezi

I use Nauticam float arms ( 2x 8") and four foam floats on the float arms. I don't have the bouyancy of the floats at hand but it is still negative underwater but not bad. I prefer negative over positive. Two strobes (sea and sea YS02's). Same port as you. Nauticam housing. It's a beast on land.

Can you post photographs to show how you are setup.

Victor, assuming you are asking me, my camera, housing and parts are in it's case now and it may be sometime before I can put it together. In words, I use Nauticam parts all around except the strobes, strobe arms, floats and fiber cables. It is a two handled system.

I use 4 Stix Jumbo floats - two on each arm
Strobes are Sea&Sea YS02s
Stobe arms (2) are 8 inch H2O Tools and I think 1 inch diameter
The strobes are attached to the strobe arms with a short ball attachment
Coil lanyard

I have mine setup with ten inch Nauticam float arms and eight inch stock arms. This setup is with the 60mm macro lens and port, about the same as 12-50. Works for me with enough weight to but the camera down without having it drift away.

Attachments

• P2180337.jpg
    P2180337.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 556
Hi Phil, looks great
I use the cold shue to hold the focus light but I see that you use one with thread to the housing.
and it look stronger. can you send me a link for that one?
Thnaks, Hezi

Thank you
I have M10 strobe mounting base on the NA-EM1
I will buy one

Hi again
I measured the the weight of the whole package (Housing with camera, strobes with batteries, focus light, arms, diopter etc...)
all together weight 6.6 KG (approximately 6.4 in salt water)
then I checked the volume of this, 5.3 liter
so it have a 1.1 kg of negative buoyancy.
If I want to keep it a little negative I need just 1 liter of volume.
I will try first to add 2 small bottles to feel if its enough and then decides what to use to float.

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2015 at 09:47 AM ----------

another question
when Nauticam write on the 60x300mm carbon fibre float arm
Weight: 260g
Buoyancy: 460g

the 460g is the real buoyancy force or I have to subtract the 260g and the buoyancy force is just 200g?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom