TiZip or YKK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ran over to Gamble Scuba in Florida, He strongly advised against TiZips.

I suspect he has seen more failed zippers in a week than most of us have ever seen, so it's worth noting his opinion.

Did he mention why he advises against TiZip, I agree on the second point, that's why I ask of his reasons.

I've had YKK in my suits for 35 years with great results. However, these were all in heavy, back-entry suits.

I added a Santi front-entry this year and it has the T-zip. With only about 50 dives on it, I like it a lot. With this suit, the zipper has a fairly sharp bend on it as it comes over my shoulder, and I don't think the metal zip would like it much, or be easy to pull myself.

The last tug is critical, but at least if you feel a dribble, you can likely yank it closed while diving, at least with a front zip.

Did he mention why he advises against TiZip, I agree on the second point, that's why I ask of his reasons.
IIRC, he said they are not durable. He said metal zippers last significantly longer than plastic zippers. He had a rack full of what looked like yet to be installed TiZips, so he can and will install them, but he didn't like them.

Reusing this thread because my suit is needing a new sipper. It had a metal one and I'm weighing my options.
I like the low weight and easy maintenance of the tizip. Have heard they may leak, but it's usually down to the user. Have not heard yet about their durability in comparison to the metal ones and about how they fail.
And in relation to metal zippers, what are people's views on the medium duty (8 teeth per inch) and heavy duty (6 teeth per inch) zippers? Is the difference the teeth strength and I guess not much differs in terms of the fraying and the wear of the fabric that holds the teeth and seals when the zipper is closed?

YKK zip failed miserably a year ago and tzip was recommended by Scott @ Custom Diving Services Custom Diving Services - Home who has seen lots of drysuits come through his door. IMHO, I think "durability" in many cases boils down to the individual diver, his/her flexibility, how well the suit fits and the force/angle of use while opening/closing.

Its the whole fraying thing on my YKK that has me cranky...it needs replacement - which is happening today at my somewhat local Dive Shop. Im getting too soggy. It really is like a early warning system... you end up getting more damp , then a bit more...then heck its a wetsuit. Yes Im going w/ a metal zipper on my DUI CF200.

What nobody's mentioned: if you break just one tooth on either type of zipper - it'll need to have the whole zipper replaced. There is no 'tooth' repair. Its all or nothing w/ these things.

Two years and a couple hundred dives on my TiZip, and so far, no problems. I sure like it better, since it doesn't fray.

Same here: also since about two years and a couple hundred dives in my TLS350, and no problems with my TiZip.
One thing: a few times my drysuit has leaked water, and
in each instance it appeared the cause was I forgot to lube the lock at the end of the zip ...

I'm trying today a santi with tizip. How do you lube it? A little bit where the zip docks at the end?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom