Worst Scuba Related Purchase!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before I got certified, I purchased two vouchers for training at an LDS on a groupon-style site. I had checked out how much the shop's classes cost and the vouchers looked like a good deal, but it has long since become clear to me that it was just a cunning means of getting me to commit to that shop. The instructors were ok, but the money that I thought I was saving was nickel-and-dimed back via things that turned out not to be included in the course fees. Because I had two vouchers I ended up doing my OW and AOW through them, but if I had taken my time, done more research locally, and read up on how to pick a shop, I would have chosen differently.

The first really bad one was my split fins. I didn't realize how many problems they cause OW students until years later, when I started helping with classes. The Air2 was a bad decision, too, and didn't last very long.

The "Spreel" was a bad one. Looked like a great idea, but it just didn't work as advertised.

The "Spreel" was a bad one. Looked like a great idea, but it just didn't work as advertised.

What is a spreel? I googled and found lots of spreels, but nothing that looked like dive equipment.

bad : buy Faber 18lit /220 bar scuba tank ( reason : big buoyancy difference between empty /full )

worse : put double '' DIR valves '' on single tank on faber tank ( reason because of position these valves are very hard to reach )

the worst : put two apeks tek 3 regs on double '' dir valves '' with single faber tank ( reason total instability , head heavy , needed counterweight )

:dork2: but it was so easy on white paper and nightmare in water:fail:

PS : fixing was simple with doubles

mares mask with plastic frame - broken on trip something like X vision ( now i own scubapro frameless 1 )

scubapro twin speed -
ok not so bad fins ( i have my turtles )

Last edited:
Folding pocket snorkel. The one time I actually tried to use it I discovered it had developed a split, I assume from being folded.

A knife with a push button release. It fell out on its first dive, and now sleeps with the fishes. It came out on the boat too, but I didn't think it would ever come out in the water. Duh!

A variety-pack of Princeton Tec dive lights. One pistol-style, one "backup", one marker.

The "backup" flooded on the first dive. The pistol-style was heavy, wasn't very bright, and after a year of disuse (I have since acquired a real primary and two reliable backups), it's showing some corrosion inside. I've never used the marker.

A .38/.357 Magnum bang stick purchased during my "Badass Billy" spear fishing days. Supposed to protect you from large and hungry marine life. An ergonomic disaster to take along on a spearing mission, plus it always seemed that the only big and scary thing in the water was....me.

Three pair of cutting shears with sheaths. Each one of them "disappeared" from the closed sheath while diving

Back
Top Bottom