Buddies kept grabbing/pulling me to ascend faster than computer said was safe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not smoke, if you look into deco theory, especially advanced deco theory, too slow can become troublesome the deeper you go. And not just on deep staged decompression technical dives with mixed gas. For most shallow recreational dives its not as pronounced. [emoji2]

Don't think we're even in the neighborhood fellas. This was 90 feet - no where even near rec limits - in a Basic Scuba Discussions forum. This is not a tec forum so advanced deco theory is not appropriate. So yeah, you are blowing smoke.

---------- Post added April 28th, 2015 at 04:57 PM ----------

... I normally plan 60 ft/min from depth and 30 ft/min in the approach to the RS and the surface...

Totally reasonable. What is totally unreasonable is for someone to grab you and force you to ascend faster than you want to.

Don't think we're even in the neighborhood fellas. This was 90 feet - no where even near rec limits - in a Basic Scuba Discussions forum. This is not a tec forum so advanced deco theory is not appropriate. So yeah, you are blowing smoke.

Totally reasonable.

I see that you are a certified solo diver. Good.

Totally reasonable. What is totally unreasonable is for someone to grab you and force you to ascend faster than you want to.
What's sad here isn't your ignorance of basic deco theory, which is very relavent to non technical OW dives, it is your pathetic attempt to justify your ignorance instead of just moving on. [emoji2]

No, we didn't, for the OP. But like most discussions, these comments are read by new divers trying to learn about diving in general.

I just thought that I should provide some context and nuance to the idea that an instructor who recommends dumping air before ascent is an idiot who should be shot, which seemed to be the implication of a number of other posts.

I actually thought that you were doing the same thing!

Also, the OP said "AT FIRST I was having trouble going up". Which implies that she was able to ascent more easily as her suit (and possibly the gas left in her wing) expanded. Not the worst thing in the world to have to kick a bit from depth, especially if a hard bottom and properly weighted.

Why would you want to have to kick upwards? Instead of dumping all of my air and kicking vertically to ascend, I simply breathe in. This starts my ascent, which expands the air in my BC and increases the buoyancy of my suit. As I start rising steadily, I dump some gas to slow to almost a stop. Another big breath, and I do it all over again. Eventually I get to the surface, easily matches any ascent rate you could want, and I do it with litterally no more effort than pulling on an OPV string. Why would I EVER kick to go up?

AMEN, too many instructors let new open water students get by with really weak buoyancy and kicking skills(which can affect buoyancy). I agree with ascending too slow, I teach breath control and 30' per minute, never slower, for recreational open water diving.

I agree with ascending too slow, I teach breath control and 30' per minute, never slower, for recreational open water diving.
So you're the one that's gonna give me **** when I want to ascend in the last few meters at 3m/min ? (ie 10fpm) And how is your recommendation better when it comes to safety? You're saying "never slower" than the speed that is actually the maximum limit of most agencies/manufacturers afaik.

We started to ascend and at first I was having trouble going up because I had emptied all my air (found out I shouldn't do that later in the day)

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, and not to excuse them putting hands on you, but I just wonder if part of what was happening that wasn't mentioned and the poster wasn't aware of is that he/she was actually see-sawing on the ascent, that he/she was going up a bit then slowing to a stop and then descending a bit, then slowly ascending...

This might explain the other divers motioning to the OP to come up, that he/she wasn't aware of what they were seeing.

.... 30' per minute, never slower,....

30 feet per minute is the recommended maximum ascent rate. There is plenty of evidence to support the idea that the last few feet - after the safety stop - can and should be at a slower rate. The speed limit in cities is typically 30mph everywhere in the world - an agreed common-sense limit - should we never drive slower. Never ease off the gas for a school or a pedestrian crossing?

Of course it is possible to ascend too slowly from half an hour at 150 feet or more, but from 90 foot with no decompression? Really? I mean how slow does one have to go to get on gassing at that depth? I'm not seeing many actual numbers from the rocket crews here. The OP's computer is saying this is the recognised and recommended range of speeds and they are ascending at the mid point. That - to me - is a very sensible place to be. Not crank it up to the highest setting. Again no figures are being given (does anyone know what the computer's settings are?). We ask new and inexperienced divers to trust the computer algorithm then berate them for doing exactly that. We are talking a fun dive here - not Navy SEALS heading up to a ship with a recompression chamber that is under enemy fire. What's the rush? Have you all got some deal with the air station that if you bring the tank back with 1,000psi you get a discount on the next fill?

You have just spent a thousand dollars learning to dive and buying your first kit. Why the big rush to sit on a boat topside?

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, and not to excuse them putting hands on you, but I just wonder if part of what was happening that wasn't mentioned and the poster wasn't aware of is that he/she was actually see-sawing on the ascent, that he/she was going up a bit then slowing to a stop and then descending a bit, then slowly ascending...

This might explain the other divers motioning to the OP to come up, that he/she wasn't aware of what they were seeing.

I hadn't thought of that. Good point.

The other diver may have been trying to stop a descent rather than increase the ascent rate. Then, during the ascent part of the see-saw, the computer was beeping.

I went back and re-read the first post of this thread... Then went and looked at a video of my wife and I diving the Hilma hooker in Bonaire last february.. This is a wreck at about 90' for those that never dove it... She is a new diver with just under a 100 dives, And her third time going deep.... At about 10 minutes into the dive I give her the check tank pressure sign and she tells me she has 2600 psi on her aluminum 80... Start was 3200 psi... This was her first dive that put her in a overhead environment with a swim through... Every part of the skills we were going to work on, Were talked about before the dive and after the dive... Even the kicking up some silt to show her what it looks like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6ev8D1xcXI

The OP was in over her head doing a dive that should have been gone over with the buddy... Some how she got a AOW card with poor skills and poor instruction that is no fault of her own... Three, I say again... THREE other divers were concerned that she was getting herself in trouble and had sucked through her tank way to fast... All 3 were trying to get her to move up the water column faster... Young divers need to learn how to deal with Narcoses..
She is lucky it all worked out... She needs to get a "GOOD" dive buddy mentor to guide her along the road of deeper diving.. And I have had to GRAB my wife and pull her butt dump valve to stop her from corking... Sometimes you do need to put your hands on someone to get things under control...

Jim...

What's sad here isn't your ignorance of basic deco theory, which is very relavent to non technical OW dives, it is your pathetic attempt to justify your ignorance instead of just moving on. [emoji2]

Ignore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom