Pensacola Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khumme

New
Reaction score
Hi!
My boyfriend and I are fairly new divers and are going on a vacation to Pensacola May 18-23rd. We would like to go on two dives during this time. My question is if anyone has any recommendations for the best dive sites. Are there any must see areas?
Thank you in advance!

I don't know what your dive skills are, but, On my bucket list was the Oriskany. I got to dive it a couple of years ago and can't wait to do it again.

They are several good beaches dives as well as several good inshore/gulf dives. Fort Pickens, Park East are good beach dives (tides and visibility play an important role for these). JoePatti Barge, 3 coal barges, Gilcrist reef are good inshore dives. Perhaps a good place to start are the local dive shops who can recommend charters/guide/DM's, etc ..

Contact Capt. Andy Ross. He has a charter boat out of (basically) Perdido Key, FL. Good op.

Be what may, I would not recommend the Oriskany as a dive for fairly new divers. It is deep (140 feet on the deck) and the ship rests in even deeper water, more than 200 feet. There are often, if not commonly, strong surface currents and sometimes the currents are not just surface currents. The viz is all over the place though usually decent. And, it is a long ride out. This is the kind of dive that a single 80 realy is at it's limit of usefulness save for those with all but the very least SAC rates. A slung pony is not a bad idea here for most divers. But, whatever.

N

Be what may, I would not recommend the Oriskany as a dive for fairly new divers. It is deep (140 feet on the deck) and the ship rests in even deeper water, more than 200 feet. There are often, if not commonly, strong surface currents and sometimes the currents are not just surface currents. The viz is all over the place though usually decent. And, it is a long ride out. This is the kind of dive that a single 80 realy is at it's limit of usefulness save for those with all but the very least SAC rates. A slung pony is not a bad idea here for most divers. But, whatever.

N

I agree with you. I read the OP to fast and didn't see the "fairly new divers". I will say that what you describe as conditions at that wreck are we have for normal conditions with less vis. The charter I took didn't allow divers without technical certs and a dive plan to go to the deck. The wreck starts at about 80', and there is plenty to do and see without going much deeper. Still it is no place for new divers.

I happen to live in Pensacola, and if you have a chance as a new diver, you can explore the USS Massachusetts. It's so shallow at times the top breaks water, and when I went, the deepest was only about 30 feet, and it's still a great place for beginners to explore a wreck. You get tons of air time and practice with wrecks, and there should be lots of fish life around this time of the year.

Ask MBT Divers or Scubashack what they have going out for an "inshore" dive. That means about 10 miles out and maybe 50-80 feet deep. Better vis than the Massachusetts, but still easy enough for just air and semi-newbies on the barges. or the Pete Tide, or whatever. You'll leave about 0830 and get in about 1pm. So half a day, and less expensive. The "Russian freighter" is also a dive I like

Agree Oriskany or the Chevron platforms, 20 miles out, will take all day for a two-tank dive, and are kind of deep. Those are "offshore" dives, will cost more because more time, and fuel. Not really beginner dives, either.

+1 on the "Russian Freighter"

The Oriskany is absolutely a great dive, and can absolutely be a challenging dive even for people with more experience. The currents can be downright brutal (we had one group blown off and lose fins). And, the visibility can go from feet above a thermocline to many feet below. I did happen to see a huge bull shark on the deck, and a 14' white shark at about 90', which was well worth the trip. From the people I have spoken to (probably a dozen or so folks that have dove her) getting blown out seems more common than not. That said, I got 3 good days in last June and it was spectacular, but my gear got the holy heck beat out of it from the current. I have 4 kids, and if they were a new diver, I would say absolutely not for O.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom