Divemaster internship where but for koh tao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schmrol

New
Reaction score
Hi everybody

i want to make the divemaster in the next winter. First i thought of bali, but the rain season isnt giving me a good feeling about that.
so i thought why not make it in thailand. i was already diving there in koh tao. but i'm concerned that koh tao is to much just scratching on the surface and not about real learning to be a good divemaster, because of the sh**load of diveshops and divers there.
friends of mine said as well, you dont have the best reputation as a "koh tao divemaster".
Is that true?

where could i do a good internship in thailand, too? Khao Lak?
because of the mass of divesites in koh tao i can barely find other spots in thailand in the internet:depressed:

i would be really happy, if you people have good hints!

thanks & best regards from switzerland

friends of mine said as well, you dont have the best reputation as a "koh tao divemaster".
Is that true?
Yes, that is true.

But before giving you some options, what do you mean with 'internship'? Getting the course for free and working that off, either during or after the course? Or paying for the course and getting a good 3 weeks training?

Yes, that is true.

But before giving you some options, what do you mean with 'internship'? Getting the course for free and working that off, either during or after the course? Or paying for the course and getting a good 3 weeks training?

Thank you all for answering!

@ontdiver: i think exactly the same - good experience and training is more worth than like a bad dogma about a place. But people do not think like that unfortunately..

stevenl, with internship i understand more than just a 3 week course, especially because i also have to make the advanced & rescue diver, too.
I think about a 2-3month curse, paying for it or working as a trainee is not the most important aspect. primarely i just want a good, fundamental training with much experience at the and. not only just doing 2months the same with OWD-beginners, you know... learning more than going down and swim a little bit.

In that case you may want to check the options on Phi Phi. Much better diving than Koh Tao, and those internships are possible there as well.

alright, thanks for the inputs! i'm gonna check these places out. have heard about already from friends who where there but yeah.. just didn't thought about it in diving context. nice to hear frmo you guys. thanks again!

but i'm concerned that koh tao is to much just scratching on the surface and not about real learning to be a good divemaster, because of the sh**load of diveshops and divers there.
friends of mine said as well, you dont have the best reputation as a "koh tao divemaster"

I did my Divemaster on Koh Tao at Sairee Cottage Diving and I've heard the above statement so many times. People might say I'm being biased but I've done diving in Australia, New Zealand, Philippines and other parts of Thailand and to be honest, the highest standards I have seen in training have been here in Koh Tao.

It is true that Koh Tao has a lot of diving schools. About 70 over if I'm not mistaken. But because of the number of schools here, PADI actually keeps a closer eye on us with the Regional Manager living on Koh Tao itself. We have IDCs every month so PADI personnel come down to Koh Tao every month and make sure things are running well. Not only that but the divers here take pride in the work they do. If anyone is seen breaking standards, rest assured that they would be named and shamed on Facebook.

That aside, I did my Divemaster followed by my IDC at Sairee Cottage Diving and absolutely loved it. I've made friends for life during my Divemaster Course but don't make a decision based on what people here say. Check out some of the dive centres around the areas you want to go and see what kind of feel you get.

For Sairee Cottage, you can check out their websites here;

Diving Koh Tao - PADI Scuba Diving Courses with Sairee Cottage Diving
http://www.idckohtaothailand.com
Sairee Cottage Diving - Divemaster Courses Thailand

Hope this helps you!

Cheers,
PADI OWSI, Denise McIntyre

Back
Top Bottom