warmth vs weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, folks! Having time to really work on buoyancy is one of the things I'm looking forward to. I don't have a lot of experience, but on each trip I've been pretty consistent. In Cozumel our dive master (Alejandro Salas, wonderful DM!) tried helping me to reduce my weights but I kept popping up at the end of dives.

I'm assuming more experience means more confidence, less weight?

Breathe out and change your breathing pattern before "popping up" happens. Assuming you're properly weighted, of course: you need what you need.

I really appreciate everyone's input! FYI-I wear a size 10 wetsuit. I'm 5'2 and 55 years old. I'm healthy weight for my age and height ( slightly on the higher end of the healthy scale).

You have all given me some really good idea. I will definately get with Patty about a weight check. Great suggestion!

Well, you've gotten a lot of advice about your weighting . . . but I thought I'd throw in there that I'm 5'2", 61 years old, and I dive in Puget Sound, where I use 31 pounds of total ballast with a single tank. And yes, I whine about it . . .

Personally, I would carry extra weight if it meant I could be warm. Diving cold is torture. I agree that you need to attend the weight clinic at CoCoView.

I don't think we should assume OP is diving with SS backplate, or even bp/w at all. I don't see OP indicating that anywhere. With conventional BC, they are about 3-4lb inherent positive due to padding. If OP is diving AL80, that is +4. All of suddent, 22lb doesn't seem too much. Just do proper weight check. I will never sacrifice warmth for weight reduction.

Back
Top Bottom