Trip report morehead city april 25/26 Tortuga Dive charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep!:D

We'll be back down this season to try the new grab handles as soon as my wrist heal up. I dove this weekend and it didn't go as well as planned for myself. So more practicing with the side mounts in the pool the next few weeks.

G0040174.jpgG0040143.jpg

1978davidw,

I'm curious to know what the range was for the length of boat ride to sites. My wife and I would love to hit Morehead but she gets seasick easily...

North Carolina diving is "offshore" diving. Most of the sites are 25-40 miles from the inlet. Tortuga is a 17-18 knot boat (2 knots faster with some improvements we made over the winter). Boats can make top cruise in conditions up to about 3' seas and when they are bigger or too close together speeds drop and runtime grows. In the summer it is usually a SW wind, so the ride out is bumpier than the ride back. Good news is the following sea makes for a better ride home.

Divers prone to seasickness have 3 choices: Medicate and hope it works, live with the pain, or stay ashore.
They say the only cure for seasickness is a nap under a pine tree. But I hear oak trees work too.

I have a customer who almost gave up NC Diving because of seasickness. He got a prescription for the scopolamine patch and claims he is cured. He sure looks like he is having more fun now. Part of diving here is the boating experience. We see a lot of cool stuff on the surface. But it is hard to enjoy it if you have your head buried in a bean bag chair. It is wonderful diving, but you have to put up with the boating to enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom