Recommendations for Cavern Diving in Northern Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am certified as a Cavern Diver by NACD and have dove numerous caverns in the Mayan Riviera.

I live in Key Largo and will be traveling (by car) to the Northeast right after Memorial Day and the cavern regions will be on my way North.

I plan to go to the High Springs (Fl) area where Ginnie Springs is located but was wondering if there are alternate dive sites in that area that rival Ginnie Springs as a top cavern diving destination.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

unfortunately there isn't much straight cavern diving in Florida, most of the caves lose daylight zone very quickly. If you're going to the NE I'm not quite sure how you would be meandering over in that general area instead of going up I95, but I'd be more tempted to stop in NC and do some wreck diving than go out and dive some of the cavern zones. Don't get me wrong, Ginnie is beautiful, but the cavern zone ends quickly in all of the caves and it isn't like MX. You really need at least an intro cert to do any cave diving in our neck of the woods.

Blue Grotto and Devils' Den near Williston, FL - Also Peacock Springs State Park, Orange Grove sink.

Manatee Springs State Park, Catfish hotel (not a great cavern, but its there)
Little River, Near Branford FL, clear, deep (65' to stop sign)
Peacock Springs State Park, Orange Grove
Peacock Springs State Park, P1 (my favorite cavern dive)
Ginnie Springs (know you listed this already) Just found out that I was missing the cavern zone from both the Eye and the Ear entrances, only stuck my head into the Eye, never even getting 5' into overhead. There is WAY more here for a cavern diver than I realized. HOWEVER, they will only let you single tank dive with a light as a cavern diver, don't even try having doubles or sidemount.

All sites require a cavern card and or for you to display your cavern card on your dash, no solo diving.

PLEASE stick to your agency's cavern requirements, don't dive out of the daylight zone, I'm sure if you are interested in making the step to Cave diving Jim can definitely fix you up.

Tim

Not sure of my schedule at this time

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom