Ft Lauderdale dive ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrism16

Registered
Reaction score
Looking at staying in ft Lauderdale this weekend and was wondering what dive ops are best there. Also what is the best wreck down south there?

Looking at staying in ft Lauderdale this weekend and was wondering what dive ops are best there. Also what is the best wreck down south there?

Pompano Dive Center!

What depths of diving are you looking at. There are lots of wrecks at different depths.

IMO, the best wreck at recreational depths is the Captain Dan. It is just over 100 feet down, and it is a great wreck for simple penetration. If you sign up at a place like Pompano Dive Center and they don't have any special place scheduled, you can name your site and they will try to fill the trip. It takes 4 to go.

I'm a fan of Dixie Divers in Deerfield Beach.

Thanks for the responses. Most of the good 100' dives are on Sunday from what ive seen on the schedules posted for the dive ops you guys have recommended. I am coming across the alley from Ft Myers and wont be there till late morning so I have to settle for an afternoon dive. I did call Scubatyme and they are going to do the Capt Dan in the afternoon so thats who Im going with I guess! Thanks for the help!!!

Did an afternoon Hydro Atlantic dive a couple weeks back with Pompano Dive Center.....if that's your cup of tea....

Just wanted to post an update. After making reservations with Scubatyme for a capt Dan dive I get a call on Thursday that the dive is cancelled and they are now doing an OWD because a group of people called him that were not AOW cert. I cancelled my reservation for 2 and rescheduled with south florida diving headquarters. I found that to be unprofessional to cancel at the last minute just for the money. But some people are all about that and not keeping a reputation....oh well.

Just wanted to post an update. After making reservations with Scubatyme for a capt Dan dive I get a call on Thursday that the dive is cancelled and they are now doing an OWD because a group of people called him that were not AOW cert. I cancelled my reservation for 2 and rescheduled with south florida diving headquarters. I found that to be unprofessional to cancel at the last minute just for the money. But some people are all about that and not keeping a reputation....oh well.

It is very, very common in that area to have dive boats cancel dives at the last minute. Your cancellation was not the last minute. I have had them cancel by calling my cell phone while I was driving to the boat. I, too, disagree with that policy, and I have written about that on ScubaBoard several times in the past.

One of the south Florida dive operations, one that was recommended in this thread, did it to me enough times that I stopped scheduling with them. I used to use them regularly, and now I have not used them in a couple years. (I had a couple other problems that led me away from them as well.)

Last year I got on the boat at South Florida Diving Headquarters, the one you will be using, and learned that I would probably be the only diver that day. It would be just me and the DM. They had just gotten the cancellation calls, and since I was already there, they were going to run the dive anyway. (Then another guy showed up, so there were two of us.) The DM grumbled that the problem was that they don't charge for cancellations, so people sign up for 2-3 different boats and then cancel the others at the last minute. I argued that the problem was that dive boats cancelling trips at the last minute was the reason people were signing up for 2-3 different boats. That way they were probably going to get a dive that day. If the boats had a policy of going out no matter how small the group once they had reached a certain point (like 24 hours before), then people would only need to sign up for one boat. Last minute cancellations would thus be rare.

The operator I usually use when I go to Cozumel has a policy of not cancelling their dives, no matter how few the people. People sign up for it knowing that even if they are the only ones on the boat, it is gong to go. I believe that is one of the reasons that the shop is so popular that they never have to worry about not having enough people to make the trip worth while.

When I go someplace I generally do an extended stay and get in a large number of dives. As a result, I am often able to get a special price per dive based on the large number of dives and my being willing to dive "standby". That being if they fill the boat with divers paying full price I don't dive that day. Many times I have ended up being the only one on the boat due to last minute cancellations....in those situations I have always encouraged them to scrub the trip rather than go out for just me when I am already getting a great deal. So far, every one of them has insisted on going out. Even in situations where it was a very large boat able to take up to 24 divers.

I have never had an op cancel at the last minute due to not having enough divers. If I were paying full price,with a limited number of days to dive on the trip, and an op cancelled at the last minute.....I would not be happy at all. IMO that would be a very poor business practice. Now if they were able to get me on another boat that day, that would greatly mitigate the damage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom