Anybody diving a Uwatec Galileo SOL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi all...
im hoping this thread is still alive..
Is there any difference between the new Galileo SOL (2012) and the earlier
SOL that was released say 2 years ago ?
Some one advised me that there are and not to purchase a used one.

Your thoughts ?

Thanks Rob
Hi Rob,

The Galileo hardware is the same. The firmware ( software ) can be upgraded. I believe it is a free upgrade.

I know that this is an _OLD_ thread, but I am hoping to get an opinion from current owners. I am a big Scubapro fan, have been using their gear for about 30 years now. I am planning, in the hopefully not too distant future, to be doing a Lot more diving (multiple dives per day, multiple days a week, for months at a time) than I have in the last 10 or so years. I don't currently have a dive computer, but looked at reviews of currently (2015) available models, and since I like Scubapro, I thought I'd take a look at theirs too. I like to buy the best of what is available, so that's why I am looking at the SOL model. One thing that really surprised me, after spending much of my career in the IT field, is how old this unit is. I think I read the first reviews that were published in were back in 2007? For a piece of tech hardware to be basically the same, other than firmware updates, for about 8 years is amazing.

I went to their website and found that it is still made, it appears to still be their top of the line unit, and they certainly do price it that way. What are peoples opinions about this computer? The fact that it is still sold 8 years later does say something, but if there is something better available that is of a more current vintage, I'd like to hear about that too. Thanks for any thoughts, folks!

I know that this is an _OLD_ thread, but I am hoping to get an opinion from current owners. I am a big Scubapro fan, have been using their gear for about 30 years now. I am planning, in the hopefully not too distant future, to be doing a Lot more diving (multiple dives per day, multiple days a week, for months at a time) than I have in the last 10 or so years. I don't currently have a dive computer, but looked at reviews of currently (2015) available models, and since I like Scubapro, I thought I'd take a look at theirs too. I like to buy the best of what is available, so that's why I am looking at the SOL model. One thing that really surprised me, after spending much of my career in the IT field, is how old this unit is. I think I read the first reviews that were published in were back in 2007? For a piece of tech hardware to be basically the same, other than firmware updates, for about 8 years is amazing.

I went to their website and found that it is still made, it appears to still be their top of the line unit, and they certainly do price it that way. What are peoples opinions about this computer? The fact that it is still sold 8 years later does say something, but if there is something better available that is of a more current vintage, I'd like to hear about that too. Thanks for any thoughts, folks!

The top of the line divecomputer to day is arguably the Shearwater Petrel 2 (my favorite), the xdeep black (there have been som problems with this one, I don't know if those are resolved now), the suunto eon steel and Liquivision Lynx

The top of the line divecomputer to day is arguably the Shearwater Petrel 2 (my favorite), the xdeep black (there have been som problems with this one, I don't know if those are resolved now), the suunto eon steel and Liquivision Lynx

What makes those computers the current top of the line ? Serious question. I believe the Petrel is marketed towards tec divers, but many still recommend it for recreational.

I want to replace my 15 yr. old Suunto Cobra with a wireless air integrated computer. The color LED displays look cool, but if their are no other useful features, I might go with a less expensive LCD computer. I also read the LED displays use a lot of battery power. Some need battery charging or replacement every few days of diving ?

What makes those computers the current top of the line ? Serious question. I believe the Petrel is marketed towards tec divers, but many still recommend it for recreational.

I want to replace my 15 yr. old Suunto Cobra with a wireless air integrated computer. The color LED displays look cool, but if their are no other useful features, I might go with a less expensive LCD computer. I also read the LED displays use a lot of battery power. Some need battery charging or replacement every few days of diving ?

For me, what makes the petrel the top of the line, is that it have all that I am looking for in a computer, a nice bright, easy to read screen, crucial in bad viz condition that I do a lot of, it has a user interface that is very intuitive, a easily obtainable and replaceable battery, is one of the most rugged computers out there, no unnecessary gimmicks, no proprietary cable for data transfer, but uses a standard Bluetooth connection, a known, trusted and transparent algorithm, that is easy to fine tune based on the dive you are planning, a good dive planner that makes planning dives with decompression obligation easy (no need to start multideco on a laptop, no need to bring the ipad whit you on the boat), supports gauge mode, easy to update firmware and supports multiple algorithms making it easy to match other computers or planning tools. Of course there are other computers that have those features too, but I feel that the petrel have the best all round execution and implementation.

You are right in that the petrel and other computers in its class use more battery, and you need to change the battery more often (one battery in a petrel last for around 30 dives), but the petrel, at least, uses standard AA batteries that you can buy anywhere, and the battery replacement is easy, just open the battery compartment pop the battery in and close the compartment. If you require a wireless air integration, then the petrel is not the way to go, since the petrel doesn't support it.

I have an older Galileo Sol...and have 700 dives on it. I've worn out two straps, had to glue the metal cover back on and upgraded it to the trimix version. I've never had any computer before or since that lasted more 100 dives. Seems I am rather hard on dive computers. This thing is a tank, and a very effective tank. I've gone thru 3 transmitters, but the latest version seems to be lasting.

The current version is rather amazingly detailed and easy to use. I keep looking at getting a new computer, but it is hard to beat the durability and ease of use, so I am still using it. Have been thru more than 6 backup computers during the time I have used this.

Note: Long dives, distant locations with poor rinse facilities and high temperatures are not a friend to dive computers.

Reactions: Jax
Looking only from the "dive" computer aspect, the Sol is still a fine computer.

Where it looks a bit out of date is out of the water, namely computer integration. The IR interface is archaic. Downloading dive logs and updating firmware is increasingly challenging.

If I was in the market for a new air-integrated dive computer, I'd look closely at the Suunto Eon.

The Mares Icon HD is nice to use but the battery is too weak - must recharge every day.

Regards
Peter

Looking only from the "dive" computer aspect, the Sol is still a fine computer.

Where it looks a bit out of date is out of the water, namely computer integration. The IR interface is archaic. Downloading dive logs and updating firmware is increasingly challenging.

If I was in the market for a new air-integrated dive computer, I'd look closely at the Suunto Eon.

The Mares Icon HD is nice to use but the battery is too weak - must recharge every day.

Regards
Peter

Funny you mention PC computer integration for downloading dive logs.

I used to be very active downloading, updating and reviewing my dive logs downloaded from my Suunto Cobra. Around dive # 300 or so, I updated the Suunto dive log software on my computer to the latest rev. It wiped out my whole log. I was so pissed. This was many years ago and I have not logged or downloaded a dive since.

I have a Galileo Luna and it has been a very good computer for several years. I am not sure what you want the dive computer to do, I find the Galileo to be quite capable with the benefit of a replaceable battery. There is no color screen but you can by two of the Luna for the price of one eon steel. I am not a fan of a rechargeable battery or the $1900 price tag. The Galileo is a solid device with its primary shortcoming is that the strap is not as durable as you would like.
If you want to have a Scubapro device, I think you would be happy with the Sol or Luna

The Sol basically does cardiac monitoring in addition to all the other functions. My wife and I both use Lunas--little difference and less price. The "top of line" computers basically are considered that because of their easy to read color screens. Me, I look at durability and quality. Scubapro backs their products and rarely go out of style. They are pretty bullet-proof. The algorithms are close to each other so if the price is right AND it has user-replacable batteries, then there is little difference. As I get older the bright color screens do look nice, but not worth the price at this point. Just my $0.02.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom