Is it worth going to Ambergris for the day from a cruise ship?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not being a fan of cruise ships.....getting off and doing something in each port would be a high priority for me.

The good news about Ambergris is that there are dive operations that are very close to the airport...Hugh Parkeys is literally across the street at the Sunbreeze Hotel. The flight is something like 17 minutes from Belize City. If there are operations that will pick you up at the airport - even better.

Given the time you have, will this be the most amazing diving you've ever done? Probably not. But there are some nice sites within a 10 minute boat ride of Ambergris. For me, this would be more fun than long, hot van rides into the jungle for cave tubing.....and you want to talk about a cattle experience, cruise ship cave tubing IS IT :). We went cave tubing during our non-cruise-ship trip to Belize in December. We were in a small group, but saw from a distance the cruise hordes. Think of 60+ screaming cave tubers all bunched together........moooo. Hard to escape from the hordes of people on a cruise ship....diving might be the perfect antidote for that.

My $0.02

Chris

I have dove with the dive ops provided by Carnival in Belize, Honduras (Roatan) and Cozumel.
I would have no issue diving with any of them again.
In the case of Belize, the ship anchors miles off shore due to the shallow waters. The dive op picks you up directly from the ship eliminating the need to take a tender to shore. 15 min boat ride to dive shop. 15 mins out to the reef for two tank dives. Hugh Parkey is name of operation.
In Roatan, they use Anthonys Key Resort. Shuttle picks you up and transport you from port to resort.
Cant remember name of op in Cozumel but tthey meet you at end of pier for short walk to boat.
None of them had more 6 divers on the boat.

The only thing I wonder about is the cost of using a cruise line selected shop... are the rates for two dives the same as if you arranged it yourself? I don't mind if a two dive trip is $100 from the ship versus $75, but if its nearly double, I'd just as soon make a couple phone calls and get to the dive shop myself (principle kind of thing)...

Anyway, thoughts on that?

This may not be an issue but I am raising the point just in case. I remember flying in a small plane for a short flight when we went to Ambergris Cay from Belize City. I don't recall details about altitude so my question is "does the wait to fly rule" impact air transport to/from Ambergris Cay? If it does then Ambergris probably isn't an option for a cruise ship stop.

The only thing I wonder about is the cost of using a cruise line selected shop... are the rates for two dives the same as if you arranged it yourself? I don't mind if a two dive trip is $100 from the ship versus $75, but if its nearly double, I'd just as soon make a couple phone calls and get to the dive shop myself (principle kind of thing)...

Anyway, thoughts on that?
I dont remember them being anything out of line price wise. 75 to 100 bucks were the standard for all of Carnival's dive excursions, all two tank boat dives.
You can go to their website, click on a port and look through available excursions for that port including prices and reviews

Kathy, I'm assured it's not an issue, it flies very low - and only for about 15 minutes. But I'm appreciative of the feedback and it sure does sound like a needless hassle and a risk, given the time available. I think I'm going to pass and either do something I can't do elsewhere or maybe try the cruise ship offer and compare it with the others that I've arranged myself, like the one in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. It does sound like the cruise ship one, although convenient is a.) more expensive and b.) more crowded.

Kathy, I'm assured it's not an issue, it flies very low - and only for about 15 minutes. But I'm appreciative of the feedback and it sure does sound like a needless hassle and a risk, given the time available. I think I'm going to pass and either do something I can't do elsewhere or maybe try the cruise ship offer and compare it with the others that I've arranged myself, like the one in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. It does sound like the cruise ship one, although convenient is a.) more expensive and b.) more crowded.
I dont know what you consider expensive, but picking me up from the ship to avoid having to tender, that is worth something to me. I have been on Hugh Parkey's boats twice, and I can't remember there being 12 people including the Captain and mate, 3 dive masters and customers.

I think if cost is a concern flying to San Pedro to dive would be ruled out when transportation is considered. BZE to San Pedro on Tropic Air is around $140RT, probably cheaper from the municipal airport. Then add taxi fair to the airport. Local 2 tank dives in San Pedro are $75 or $87 after tax then add another $20-$25 if you need to rent gear. This would be a pretty expensive two tank dive. I think in Belize the cruise ship dive excursion would be the way to go.

I am not a cruise ship fan but sometimes the prices are too good to pass up. In Feb. I took an 11 day cruise and was able to dive in Grand Cayman, Aruba, Grenada, and Dominica. Also had stops in Bonaire and St. Martin but didn't dive there. The cost of the cruise was less than flying to any of these places.

Stinky lil quiet fishing village last time(s) we were there in the mid thru latter 80's------but------I'm sure most of that has changed.....:)

...and you want to talk about a cattle experience, cruise ship cave tubing IS IT :). We went cave tubing during our non-cruise-ship trip to Belize in December. We were in a small group, but saw from a distance the cruise hordes. Think of 60+ screaming cave tubers all bunched together........moooo. Hard to escape from the hordes of people on a cruise ship...

Boy, I had forgotten about that. The first time my wife and I went cave tubing, we were in BZ City for a few days doing tours from there. The first day, our tour guide suggested we go elsewhere in the morning and do the cave tubing in the afternoon because a cruise ship was in town. So we went after lunch and were on the road in as the buses were leaving. I've never seen so many buses in my life! By the time we arrived the last of the buses was pulling out, so we had the place pretty much to ourselves. Would have been a totally different experience had we gone there in the morning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom