BC inflator failure.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the Halcyon inflators are the most precise inflators that used to be out there. They had much more control than the others despite being able to dump quite a bit of air. That said, they don't dump much more air than any other inflator, but quite often you need to have the ability to inflate VERY quickly. *carrying an anchor down to 100+ft on a wreck*, etc.

Process for above, as already mentioned
Hold the oral inflate button open, remove the LPI. Carry on the dive as normal by orally inflating. This is not a dive ending issue unless the leak is from the valve in the hose, just a minor inconvenience.

Here in the Great White North a lot of us will disconnect the wing inflator once we are at the maximum depth of the dive. At that point lift should be sorted out and it eliminates the chance of a stuck inflator.

Thanks for all the replies! In future I'll make myself aware of inflator rate, and practice disconnecting the inflator. (Even though the incident didn't happen to me, I consider it a warning of an event that can happen.)

Her inflator valve stuck open, filling her BC. A long-time experienced diver, she dumped the air as fast as she could, but the inflator was filling the BC faster than the dump valve could empty it,

If she was that experienced she should have known to disconnect her LP hose? But maybe she panicked?

Less serious, but more common may be the inflator that slowly adds air. Happened to my daughter and really shook her confidence in her buoyancy skills until it was diagnosed and fixed. One little grain of sand caused the problem... (see posts on the cons of shore diving in a different thread running now.) Sand + equipment = Bad.

What is the process for "detuning" an inflator?

If you want to slow the flow rate of an inflator you need to restrict the opening somewhere in the system. Easiest is to drill and tap the Male QD from the inside, and install a brass set screw and then drill it to whatever diameter you want.

10 Minutes work with a reasonably equipped lathe.

I wouldn't bother. There are other ways to handle the problem.

Tobin

If you want to slow the flow rate of an inflator you need to restrict the opening somewhere in the system. Easiest is to drill and tap the Male QD from the inside, and install a brass set screw and then drill it to whatever diameter you want.

10 Minutes work with a reasonably equipped lathe.

I wouldn't bother. There are other ways to handle the problem.

Tobin

I thought it might be a bit of a project. I switched to the Scubapro balanced power inflator years ago because I prefered their controls (side by side, large and small) over the conventional inflator's buttons. Since the SP inflator uses a captured seat on the inflate mechanism rather than o-rings, I suspect it is more resistant to runaway inflation problems.

Ditching gear and ascending with a buddy is a good plan. More experienced divers and calm in an emergency types might consider shutting off the air, disconnecting the low pressure inflator hose, and then turning on the air. The person with the fault gear can share a buddy's air during this process and the buddy can do the shutting and opening of the air valve. on the first stage. This is good post, and divers should think about other alternatives to an uncontrolled buoyant ascent from any depth. For shallower dives, I like the ditch and ascend, for deeper air off- disconnect - then on. Another example of what a buddy should be in touching distance at all time. NOte: the diver with the faulty bc shold keep the deflate open during this process, and no buoyant ascent should occur.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom