cancun diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigjay

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi we are looking for dive sights in cancun we have dove cozumel and cenotes but we have non diving friends with us. Is there any shore diving in the area so we can bring them along?Thanks in advance we are nitrox and awo cert.:cool2:

Talk to Erik Rosenstein at "Beyond Diving"...he knows all the spots.

Four years ago I didn't find any shore diving in Cancun and boat dives were so boring that I stop to flight to Cancun at all. Three times in Cozumel since and I would like more.

I am heading to Cancun soon. I will try Isla de Mujeres, Cozumel, but really no Cancun based dives? no go? I will try to contact the person referenced above. Please chime in any other info on local snorkeling or water activities...

What about Tulume? just snorkelling?

Thanks ... Steve

I was in Cancun a few years ago (2008) for a conference. Did three days of boat diving. Two days with Manta. Were pleasant dives. Mostly reef with one slightly deeper on a couple wrecks. Decent viz and a fair ammount of fish life. Small boat. Did a back roll off. Coming back on we took off equipment and climbed in over side. Only complaint was that on day 2 there was a new assistant who only cracked the air open when they switched the gear. But I caught that we I did the breath on reg and watch gauge check. Depending on the day we had 2 to 3 divers and a very experienced guide. Not the best dives I have ever done but if in Cancun would do again.

Also did a couple dives with Water World. Bigger boat. Lots of newbies. Still better than a quarry in NC but not my first choice.

Some photos are at Cancun. This was my first camera but give you some idea of the diving.

Decent diving at Puerto Morelos, about half an hour south of Cancun. Even more decent diving in Akumal (almost to Tulum) and, so I'm told, Puerto Aventuras. How far from Cancun are you willing to drive?

I go to Cozumel to dive and the do other stuff. When in Cancun I do other stuff and when I want to dive... I go to Puerto Morelos and dive with Bret.

Reactions: FT
If I read into Old Bear, am I getting that you get drunk in Cancun and dive in Cozumel? Most of my friends who go to mexico never leave the "Hotel Zone" and give me a funny look when I ask if they saw the ruins at chexzen Iza or Tulume, etc... We are not "spring breakers.." so we will be venturing out of our hotel... not renting a car...we are familiar with buses in Mexico and know how to get around.... having said that, we are looking for advice on getting the best dives for novice/intermediate divers looking to see fish, photograph, and have a good time... not struggle with current and test our dive skills to the max... it's husband and wife time... we will do lots of snorkelling in the shallows.

We will be taking the bus to Tulume...but prolly only snorkelling

Cozumel will be an option, but we will have to leave our holtel in playa de mujeres (North of hotel zone) take shuttle or bus/car to playa del carmen, then board a ferry for Cozumel, then do afternoon dive?? or maybe just snorkel.

Isla de mujeres ferry is right outside our hotel...which makes this an ideal dive area for us, location wise. again, no techie dives, just pretty reefs will do us fine.

Thanks again for the replies.

Steve

I've gone to cancun a few times and have had people with me that were divers but didn't want to travel to the cenotes or Cozumel so we ended up using coconut divers for a few cheap and easy boat dives. Very short boat ride reasonable prices and great staff! They threw us on a few nice reefs and such

Returned from Cancun. Only diving was Akumal on some reefs. Also snorkelled with the turtles and othe fish. The reef from Puerto Morales to Belize is supposedly second largest reef next to the Barrier in AUS. Everyone also said do Cozumel because it was #2 diving on planet earth. There were however lots of Americans and Canadians that have taken up residence in Akumal and I can see why in many ways. It's a very laid back and infectious life. I also snorkeled in Isla de Mujeres which was nice. Tulum was also very cool, and I did do some swimming in several cenotes. We travelled by bus all over the Yucatan which, if you know mexico, you know iit's a slow process, but gives you a great feel for the culture and life. Nice trip overall... so next time I will do a "dive" trip, because I was with my spouse I feel lucky to have gotten the "water time" that I got.

On the airplaine taking off I could see so much turquoise water, it made me want my boston whaler and lots of fuel to discover what must be thousands of square miles of shallow reef. On the plane I could see many boats in these shallows. Most of the tourism and diving takes place near the "tourist" areas. This is the challenge i've learned in international destinations, and local too I suppose.

The inspiration for the trip is mixed... Mexico is so filled with garbage and pollution... the reefs where I was were in varying states of distress... lots of sediment covering the live corals. Raw sewage pipes on virtually all the beaches I explored... but water temp more than sewage is causing the damage. Worldwide tourism is the bulk of their economy, which is what will be it's undoing... very sad.

Anyway, hope this editorial will give some valuable info to someone. Akumal dive center was the only outfit I dove with and it was great. An old school panga anchored to the beach (small tides there due to its proximity to the equator) where you schlop your gear in and go. Great experience... now back to cold water diving in Nor Cal!

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom