BP&W or Bcd for single tank drysuit diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BW+W. A steel plate means less weight on a belt, and that weight is positioned over your lungs. The crotch strap means the rig wont ride up when you're on the surface, either.

As above. In a drysuit I dive a 5.1kg plate and a 2.7kg weighted STA. I don't think my hips or back could handle that much lead. I carry 4kg on a weight belt which is the limit of my back.

Surprisingly enough, a BP&W is usually more comfortable both in and out of the water than a jacket style BC. The waist belt carries weight much better than a cumberbund. Plus the BP&W is more streamlined in the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 BP/W. As mentioned above, drysuit divers need more balast than wetsuit divers, and it's MUCH more comfortable to have a lot of that balast right between your lungs and your wing. If you put a weight insert into your STA, you will need even less weight belt lead.

And as I always say, if you are thinking of getting into technical diving, if you are diving doubles, or if you are diving in a dry suit, you should get a BP/W. But if you are sure that you will only be doing warm water, single tank, shallow recreational diving, then you should get a BP/W.

It only makes sense -- diving a dry suit means lots of ballast, and making your BC part of that ballast beats having to wear even MORE lead to sink the BC, too!

The BP/W design puts the weight where you need it to be when diving a dry suit. It provides better balance. And there is less inherent buoyancy to sink. Many conventional BCs will require several pounds of ballast just to offset the buoyancy of the padding used. That is extra weight on land and extra instability in the water. This is a case of what looks good in the store not working when actually diving. For warm water diving where there is little ballast used the choice is less clear. Either a regular BC or a Backplate may work well enough. But in conditions where a dry suit is clearly needed over a wetsuit the choice is pretty clear.

What they all said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

+1 BP/W. As mentioned above, drysuit divers need more balast than wetsuit divers, and it's MUCH more comfortable to have a lot of that balast right between your lungs and your wing. If you put a weight insert into your STA, you will need even less weight belt lead.

And as I always say, if you are thinking of getting into technical diving, if you are diving doubles, or if you are diving in a dry suit, you should get a BP/W. But if you are sure that you will only be doing warm water, single tank, shallow recreational diving, then you should get a BP/W.

Was that last part a typo or are you saying BP&W for all diving? But in a humorous way. I have both but can never decide which one I am more comfortable in when using my drysuit. I also think that my harness on my diverite stainless steel transplate may need to be adjusted because it either restricts my movement or allows too much movement of tank depending on how much I tighten shoulder straps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom