Help choosing new camera - Best options for camera / strobe, roughly around $2,000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBA Fletch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Greetings friends. I've been a 3-time owner of Sealife Reefmasters - DC100, DC200 & DC500. I'm at the point where I need to purchase another camera - but I'm not "married" to Sealife at this point. My strobe is no longer working, so that's out and although my camera will work, it's definitely past it's prime and I'm exploring. Sure, I could just check my brain at the door and get the latest and greatest from Sealife, but for 3 cameras now, I have been mainly frustrated with the battery life (or lack thereof).

I'd like to try to stay around $2,000 - but have some flexibility. What has your experience been?

Thanks in advance,
Susan

what type of photos are you most interested? macro vs wide angle may point to different cameras

do you also want to take video?

Hi Susan,

Sounds like your next camera should be a high-end compact.
The 2 leading models today are the Sony RX100III and the Canon G7X, both excellent options and very similar specs.
The main difference is better video on the Sony and better lens range on the G7X.
Read this comparison to learn more: Best Underwater Compact - Canon G7X VS Sony RX100 III
Another option is the G16 which has been the most popular model for last year and is the best value bundle in the market in my opinion: Canon G16 Camera AND Underwater Housing by Fantasea with Sea & Sea YS-03
Along with the YS-03 it's a fantastic deal. You can also upgrade to the YS-01 if you prefer manual control on the flash as well.

These options are well within your budget and would be an excellent upgrade from your previous Sealife's, taking you smoothly to the next level.
As for add-ons, wet lenses are one of the greatest advantages of underwater compacts. Depending on your photographic preferences, you can get a macro wet lens or a wide angle wet lens to improve your focal range from the default lens and getting a better angle and range.
If you really want good battery life, you can go for a DSLR. The Ikelite for Canon SL1 is a very good value bundle and one of my personal favorites, within your budget and battery life is a dream, especially if you use the viewfinder and not the screen. Note that this would be a two step leap from the Sealife so it might take some getting used to, and a bulkier rig than you're used to of course. But capable of some seriously high-quality imagery!

what type of photos are you most interested? macro vs wide angle may point to different cameras

do you also want to take video?

Thanks - yes, I'd like the ability to do video, but it's not the primary reason for the camera. I'm looking for a general purpose camera, but mostly shoot macro and closer subjects. Occasionally I shoot a wreck, so that's why I say general purpose. In other words, photography is definitely a "hobby" and not a vocation - but I want to have quality photos that I can enjoy.

Thanks again.

---------- Post added May 13th, 2015 at 03:01 PM ----------

Hi Susan,

Sounds like your next camera should be a high-end compact.
The 2 leading models today are the Sony RX100III and the Canon G7X, both excellent options and very similar specs.
The main difference is better video on the Sony and better lens range on the G7X.
Read this comparison to learn more: Best Underwater Compact - Canon G7X VS Sony RX100 III
Another option is the G16 which has been the most popular model for last year and is the best value bundle in the market in my opinion: Canon G16 Camera AND Underwater Housing by Fantasea with Sea & Sea YS-03
Along with the YS-03 it's a fantastic deal. You can also upgrade to the YS-01 if you prefer manual control on the flash as well.

These options are well within your budget and would be an excellent upgrade from your previous Sealife's, taking you smoothly to the next level.
As for add-ons, wet lenses are one of the greatest advantages of underwater compacts. Depending on your photographic preferences, you can get a macro wet lens or a wide angle wet lens to improve your focal range from the default lens and getting a better angle and range.
If you really want good battery life, you can go for a DSLR. The Ikelite for Canon SL1 is a very good value bundle and one of my personal favorites, within your budget and battery life is a dream, especially if you use the viewfinder and not the screen. Note that this would be a two step leap from the Sealife so it might take some getting used to, and a bulkier rig than you're used to of course. But capable of some seriously high-quality imagery!

Great advice - thank you. I certainly have some research to do!

I just bought the Cannon G16. Can't wait to try it out.

I just bought the Cannon G16. Can't wait to try it out.
I bought a G16 last year to upgrade my S&S DX-1G so I could get "bigger" macro (super-macro?) from the longer lens on the G16 (140mm vs 70mm).

All told I am happy, but I got 1 unpleasant surprise.

The minimal focus distance of the G16 at 140mm was around 2ft (or more, i forget exactly). I was used to my DX-1G being able to focus within 1 inch of the lens at full 70mm zoom. So things ended up smaller with the G16 @140 than the DX-1G @70 because i had to stay further away. Experimenting with reduced zoom allowed me to get much closer, but lost most of the "enlargement" I was looking for from the new camera. Stock camera meant the DX-1G could capture larger subjects than the G16. Not much of an upgrade?

Wet diopter to the rescue! Adding a Subsee +10 reduced the minimal focus distance to around 5 inches ish at full 140mm zoom. Depth of Field makes getting the subject in focus VERY difficult. But it now can produce larger subjects than the DX-1G. The DX-1G did not benefit from the wet diopter due to its short zoom and its native ability to focus within 1 inch.

In my world a wet diopter is mandatory for G16 macro. YMMV.

---------- Post added May 14th, 2015 at 12:59 PM ----------

P.S. I am currently researching flip away 67mm lens holders. I was used to using a flip up on my DX-1G and found that screwing and unscrewing the +10 during the dive was very annoying and time consuming.

While the high-end compacts are very good, for the price, I don't think you can beat the Olympus Micro 4/3ds cameras -- and there are some fabulous values out there right now. Why a Micro 4/3s over a compact? For the following reasons:

a. Much bigger sensor which generally means either more sensitivity or better resolution -- or both.

b. Lenses specific to the dive/images you want OR a general lens -- your choice -- i.e., flexibility.

Why Olympus? Primarily because it offers decent housings specifically for its cameras at a very reasonable price.

Compact cameras are good -- no doubt about it -- but the flexibility of the "Evils" such as the various Olympus cameras, just can't be beat IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom