Master Scuba Diver Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True.

No, MSD also has a requirement for specialties, five for PADI.

No, Divemaster is the first professional level. MSD is the last recreational level, and is not required for divemaster.

MSD, at least for SSI, requires that. AOWD requires 4 specialities with CheckOut.
DiveMaster is the second professional level in SSI. The first one is Dive Guide. Dive Guide + Science of Diving = DiveMaster
There is no requirement to start the Dive Guide Professional course to be a MSD. AOWD + Rescue + 60 logged dives is enough. However, those requirements are the same or a little bit greater than for MSD. MSD is a Recognition level. No academic is required, so, to start the Dive Guide course at least you need the same requirements than MSD.

John,
Main reason for getting the MSD is largely because I am only need two specialties to complete, and they are courses that I was going to take anyway. I enjoy taking scuba courses, as learning is a life long process. The dive center opted to let me start IDC, however, because I do not know PADI, as my certs are all SEI, taking the PADI DM Course was an easier way for me to make the transition. All that is around here in the Carolina's is mainly PADI

John,
Main reason for getting the MSD is largely because I am only need two specialties to complete, and they are courses that I was going to take anyway. I enjoy taking scuba courses, as learning is a life long process. The dive center opted to let me start IDC, however, because I do not know PADI, as my certs are all SEI, taking the PADI DM Course was an easier way for me to make the transition. All that is around here in the Carolina's is mainly PADI

The PADI Master Diver certification is not nearly the same thing as the PADI divemaster certification. If you are looking to go professional, the PADI master diver course will do nothing for you. I am a PADI instructor and I am a PADI tech instructor. I do not, however, have the PADI maser diver certification.

Your profile lists a course that appears to be the equivalent of Rescue. I am pretty sure you qualify for the PADI Master Scuba Diver rating. My question is this: why does it matter? the purpose of the MSD rating is, frankly, to try to give you incentive to take all these courses, and improve your diving skills. You have apparently done all that without the incentive. In rare occasions, the MSD rating will open some doors for you, but those are rare occasions. Within the PADI structure, the MSD rating is the end of the recreational diver line of courses. That rating does not qualify you for anything beyond that, and it will not bring you any benefit other than a card.

You raise very good points. I am pursuing my MSD for two fold reasons: structured self-development and evidence for new buddies, dive masters and dive centres of my diving trajectory.

Regards

GJS

Back
Top Bottom