Anybody diving a Uwatec Galileo SOL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..... As I get older the bright color screens do look nice, but not worth the price at this point. Just my $0.02.

I am following this thinking as well. Like Charlie 59 said, you can buy 2 LCD computers for the cost of one newer color LED model.

I will probably buy 2 LCD AI wireless computers. 1 for me, 1 for my wife. I think it's important we have computers that use the same algorithm.

FWIW, if you are OK with buying secondhand, you can readily find lightly used Lunas and Sols around (with the AI transmitter). They come up on eBay fairly often, and generally sell in the $450 - $700 price range.

I bought a Sol locally (from someone who had given up diving) that had <25 dives on it. Price was $550 including the AI transmitter, an IR dongle, and a couple of spare batteries.

With a B&W LCD display and an IR interface to the PC, it's not current "state of the art". But the AI is solid, screen is large and well laid out, three-button UI is easy to use, and I haven't had any issues using the IR connection.

Guys, thanks for all the replies. I am looking for an AI, so that narrows the choices a little. From what I'm reading, Sol is still a very good, rugged, reliable, not very flashy, but workhorse type of unit. I'm often going to be a long ways away from anything resembling 1st world, for up to months at a time, so flashy is lower on my list than reliable, and able to find world wide service is also a plus. From all the posts I read, I didn't see anyone say anything _bad_ about the unit, the comments were all either positive, or at worst neutral, saying there are newer, nicer ones, but nothing wrong with this one.

One question, I know the post is called Uwatec Galileo SOL, are there any differences between the Uwatec and the Scubapro styles? I presume that Scubapro just has Uwatec put their name on it, but is there any differences in the software/programming? Anyone have any experience with their heart monitors, and do you find the info that is downloaded into the PC useful or interesting? Bummer about the comment above with losing the 300 dive history, man, working in IT for years, I can feel your pain on that one, and that's why I always back up to 2 diff medias anything that I _really_ can't lose. Water under the bridge, I know. I heard that in a month or so, they are releasing an updated one which besides heart rate, will also do body temps as well. That would be interesting data to have, but then, I'm kind of a gadget geek. Thanks for any info and comments, they are all appreciated.

Guys, thanks for all the replies. I am looking for an AI, so that narrows the choices a little. From what I'm reading, Sol is still a very good, rugged, reliable, not very flashy, but workhorse type of unit. I'm often going to be a long ways away from anything resembling 1st world, for up to months at a time, so flashy is lower on my list than reliable, and able to find world wide service is also a plus. From all the posts I read, I didn't see anyone say anything _bad_ about the unit, the comments were all either positive, or at worst neutral, saying there are newer, nicer ones, but nothing wrong with this one.

One question, I know the post is called Uwatec Galileo SOL, are there any differences between the Uwatec and the Scubapro styles? No. I presume that Scubapro just has Uwatec put their name on it, - Correct - but is there any differences in the software/programming? Anyone have any experience with their heart monitors, and do you find the info that is downloaded into the PC useful or interesting? Bummer about the comment above with losing the 300 dive history, man, working in IT for years, I can feel your pain on that one, and that's why I always back up to 2 diff medias anything that I _really_ can't lose. Water under the bridge, I know. I heard that in a month or so, they are releasing an updated one which besides heart rate, will also do body temps as well. That would be interesting data to have, but then, I'm kind of a gadget geek. Thanks for any info and comments, they are all appreciated.

I have had Uwatec (now ScubaPro) AIs for a long time. As Puffer Fish says, it is a tank. I like all the extra data. If you don't wear the heart monitor, the graph will swag your metabolism from the air usage (in answer to someone's "Phantom Heartbeat" comment).

I bought one used, and it is fine. I also like the Petrel and the Predator. I wear them both. I refer more to my Petrel in the dark, and more to the Sol in the daytime. I have the used Sol as a backup and a Predator for a backup. Treat the transmitter, heartrate monitor, and computer like you would a camera - in that you always rinse with fresh water and be extremely careful with the orings when you swap batteries, and it'll last forever.

Thanks for the info and advice. The boat has a RO desalinator on it, so fresh water rinsing isn't going to be an issue. Glad to hear it's a tank, I think I've made up my mind. Now, to try and find a couple for a reasonable price, though I think I may buy one new later this year as well, just to get the latest and greatest in terms of monitor and the updated board in the display unit.

Speaking about photo gear, the last time I was into UW photography (dating myself here), you had to get this stuff called film developed before you could actually see your pictures (Horrors!). I've had a DSLR for prob 9-10 years now, which works fine, but I know that improvements happen constantly. Is there any consensus on who makes a camera that works pretty well underwater? I'm a little biased towards Nikon, but again, that is from years of experience with them, though not with any current (last 6-7 years) models. Also, is there a housing brand that comes out on top nowadays? Thoughts?

Regarding the software, it is very nice, and for the most part, gives one everything they could ever use. The new, color display units, all have battery life issues, and makes them a pain to use on a field trip. This unit does hold a lot of dives in it's memory.. hundreds actually, and the IR reader is cheap. I moved my computer around a few months ago and lot the one I have been using for years, and got a new one, and to my surprise, the latest models read the data something around 10 times faster than it used to.

Regarding Camera's.. it depends on what sort of images you want to take, how you are going to use the images and how much one wants to spend, there is a lot of very good, and somewhat expensive gear out there to choose from. I teach underwater photography, and feel free to ask about how each system varies and what works best for specific types of images. Just stop by face book and look at some images and ask questions @https://www.facebook.com/jim.garin

One thing, don't start out with a full frame DSLR...tough to learn.

One thing, don't start out with a full frame DSLR...tough to learn.
I'll start another thread about photography when I get closer to making a decision about which way to go with the camera purchase, but one quick one if you could clear it up for me, what is the issue with full frame? I know my D200 isn't, but my F4s is. I like the idea of a bigger sensor, but does that make it more difficult to shoot? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Oh, and since I mentioned my F4s, it kind of nudged my memory, and thought hmm, what was the last F series film camera, appears that it is the F6, so being curious, hit Ebay and found that they are still selling from between $2500 (outlier, was new in unopened box) and $700, with the majority being around $8-1000. Pretty impressive for an 'obsolete' camera, huh?

I'll start another thread about photography when I get closer to making a decision about which way to go with the camera purchase, but one quick one if you could clear it up for me, what is the issue with full frame? I know my D200 isn't, but my F4s is. I like the idea of a bigger sensor, but does that make it more difficult to shoot? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Oh, and since I mentioned my F4s, it kind of nudged my memory, and thought hmm, what was the last F series film camera, appears that it is the F6, so being curious, hit Ebay and found that they are still selling from between $2500 (outlier, was new in unopened box) and $700, with the majority being around $8-1000. Pretty impressive for an 'obsolete' camera, huh?

There are a bunch... so here goes:

1. Size...big camera means large case.. and that means lots of task loading and carrying it around...remember you also are diving.

2. Cost..rather exponential here. More the case and ports than the camera. The issue is more that if you decide you want a macro.. lens and port costs, then a really good wide angle, more costs...this can get very expensive really fast.

3. If you are getting strobes (and you should) because you would be using higher F stops, you will need really big strobes (and more cost).

4. If you decide you want to take macro or super macro images, depth of field (due to the large sensor) is a major concern and much more difficult to manage (can be done, but not easy))

5. If you are not making large prints, there are some very good smaller camera's.. easy to carry, much lower in cost and can, if you get the right ports, produce very good results.

Keep in mind that wide angle is not about detail, and a huge camera and setup is of no value. Macro, and if you are doing large prints is wonderful with a full frame, but also much more difficult to initially learn. I use a micro 4/3 camera (half sized sensor)..is tiny by comparison, and do a lot of commercial prints in the 11 x 14 and larger size. If I did 20 x 30 prints, would be using a full frame, but I don't. Internet does not need it. I can hold my setup with one hand (2 strobes, arms, and macro camera setup)...so have one hand free. That is not practical with a huge camera and giant strobes.

Excellent response, concise and very informative. Gives me a bit to think about when I get to that point. Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom