"Sports drinks"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bicycle riding, is actually the BEST method I have seen for conditioning the fin swimming muscles we use in diving.
dang it there was me thinking the best way to condition fin swimming muscles was to--Fin swim!!!!
sorry mon couldn't resist. :)

dang it there was me thinking the best way to condition fin swimming muscles was to--Fin swim!!!!
sorry mon couldn't resist. :)
If you could do 2 to 3 hours per day, 3 or 4 times per week....off a boat...and do heart rate based optimal exertions...it probably would be :)

If you could do 2 to 3 hours per day, 3 or 4 times per week....off a boat...and do heart rate based optimal exertions...it probably would be :)

Yeah... and if you bike 70 miles @ sustained 20 mph 3 times a week, you won't get cramps biking to work every day weather permitting.

mate I was pulling ya leg (poking fun)
But truth be known I'm doing a LOT of lenths of the local pool atm both with and without fins.

To replace salt from sweating, try Nuun tablets. I don't know about the particular potassium requirements compared to sodium, but I do recall that bananas don't have as much potassium as people think, which means you need to eat a lot of them. Before a long dive, I usually have a couple of bananas and an early lunch with avocado (a good potassium source). Also some (but not too much) coffee, for the caffeine. And a lot of water.

On on longer runs (7+ miles) or bike rides (30+ miles) in the heat, I use plain water, Nuuns (in water) for salt, mini Cliff bars and gels or fruit chews for sugar.

mate I was pulling ya leg (poking fun)
But truth be known I'm doing a LOT of lenths of the local pool atm both with and without fins.

Seriously, though, I can't think of anything that'd work well outside of the water. A football (soccer) kick maybe, if you kick with metatarsals and not the toes, and even that wouldn't necessarily give you as much stretch & resistance as a fin in the water. Plus the swing is too wide for proper flutter kick.

I think the cycling motion is ideal for fin swimming. Toes are fully pointed, and the effect on the pedals is to be doing a leg extension with the top leg, while the bottom leg is doing a leg curl.....ie., you push straight forward with the top pedal, while the bottom pedal is pulled backward by the hamstring--like you are trying to scrape the "sh*t off your shoe". The more you manage to keep your toes pointed down throughout the round pedal stroke, the better for fin swimming...and for cycling, if you have strong leg muscles the toe pointing effectively lengthens your lever( legs)....which can allow faster speeds, at the cost of requiring considerably stronger leg muscles....For a diver, its just something to train for :)

Back
Top Bottom