Embarrassing drysuit experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Has this ever happened to you?

My buddy and I wanted to spend some time diving at an old prohibition bottle dump site. We knew that we needed to dig through more recent bottles to get to the ones from the thirties and forties. So to conserve air for the dive we swam from shore for a distance of about thirty minutes, then down we went.

Ten minutes into the dive I suddenly got an urge to pee. Not just any urge, it was torture. I tried to hold it in but after another ten minutes or so I gave in and relieved myself in my drysuit. I kept it a secret from my dive buddy of course. Once out of the water I told him I needed to rush to my cabin in order to go to the bathroom. One hour later, a fully rinsed drysuit, under garment, and a hot shower I came out of hiding.

It’s not the first time I need to pee while diving, but it was always at the end of a dive and I was able to wait till I was ashore. This led me to think, should I wear a diaper like the tech guys sometimes do? My experience moves me to try. They are not too expensive. They are discrete, no one needs to know.

Would you use a diaper?
Do you use a diaper?

By the way I did find a 1947 whisky bottle with the remains of a cork inside.

In my opinion now that you have already had to go mid dive you should just get a pee-valve.
In my experience diapers are not as reliable, and if you use them more than a little at a time you still end up with pee in your undergarments.
The best money you will spend is on a pee-m valve.
The condom cath's are a learning curve but it can be learned fairly quickly here on SB.

You can test drive the diapers but put one on out of your suit and try to use it.
If you do the same with the cath /pee-valve you will see what I am talking about.
Very easy and it will extend your dive time.

CamG

Interesting first post. Raises suspicion.

I don't see why. If this happened to me, I'd most likely be suitably embarrassed to not post with my real account either. The OP may have frenemies on the board.

oh well pee happens......

Just so you know, installing a P-valve doesn't solve the issue. Last week at Ginnie Springs, I remembered to put on a catheter but forgot to plug it in :)

I do some pretty long dry suit dives (up to 3 hours), and I use a She-P with a p-valve. However, the system is far from foolproof, and I've had at least one occasion where, 90 minutes into a cave dive, I went to pee and discovered something was awry inside the suit. Given that 90 minutes in means 90 minutes out, I didn't have a lot of options.

But the worst story of all was during my Cave 2 class. It was Wednesday, and by then, I was crushingly humiliated and had learned to LOATHE my instructor. We had stopped for lunch on a docking platform, and before we got back in the pontoon boat to go to our next site, I decided to wade down into the water to pee discreetly. Standing on the bottom step, I was looking up at the instructor's face (which wasn't particularly comfortable, to begin with). As the urine began to flow, it became distressingly apparent that I had a major leak. I was faced with two choices - either abort the effort, climb up the stairs, shuck the dry suit, hang my butt off the platform and pee, thereby delaying everyone's return to diving, or just pee all over myself. So I chose the latter, and I will never forget staring up into David's face while I did so. I think it may be the low point of my adult life :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom