Are Sand Fleas Still an Issue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fwiw, we were at Anthony's Key last week and bugs were not a problem. We did carry bug dope (both permethrin and deet, in case the permethrin didn't work) but never needed it.

Yes, mosquitoes and sand fleas are part of the culture in the Caribbean. I developed an all-natural bug spray that does work and proven effective in the Caribbean as well as other parts of the world. If you are going to Roatan, it is available at Turquoise Bay Resort and Barefoot Cay Resort. I make it in San Diego, CA and it is available for purchase through Lita's No-See-Um No More TM Product Information Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!

Sitting here in West End right now looking out at the Caribbean and drinking an Imperial.. As stated before and before and before.. It's not a big deal.. Like someone mentioned before, just put a can of Deep Woods Off next to your front door. Before you walk outside, a quick spray on the legs and feet and you're normally good to go. Maybe on the arms and neck if you're planning to be out late and the wind is calm. Maybe on all exposed skin if you're planning to lay on the beach..

I have never had any residual Deep Woods from my skin damage my dive gear. I do remove my watch or try to be careful not to spray my watch/dive computer when I spray it on. It WILL ruin the watch / computer crystal if you get it on there and don't wipe it off.

Otherwise again, just put a little on before you go outside and it's no big deal. Just like putting on some before going outside in the states when mosquitos are a problem.

BTW, I'm going to be diving at West Bay Divers tomorrow, if any Scuba Board Members want to stop by and dive with me. If the wind calms down, I think we are planning to dive out at Pablo's Place (far SW West Point of the island). Normally there's a bit of a current and the big stuff likes to hang out there. Recently a hammerhead has been seen hanging out there in the morning.

Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!
$30 dollars plus $7 shipping for 8oz ?? Why? How long does it last, how often does it need reapplication? Does it work as good as DEET or Picariden products against the mosquitoes carrying Malari, Dengue and now chikungunya ? Where can we read about the test results?

Last edited:
Just got back last week from 11 days at Sandy Bay. I was a bit sloppy with my bug bite prevention when cooking on the grill. They got me a bit on the legs.

We don't like the DEET products. When used, we have had great success with Picardin based repellents. Nothing works if you leave it sitting on the counter and not sprayed on the legs. IMG_3969.jpg

Yes, mosquitoes and sand fleas are part of the culture in the Caribbean. I developed an all-natural bug spray that does work and proven effective in the Caribbean as well as other parts of the world. If you are going to Roatan, it is available at Turquoise Bay Resort and Barefoot Cay Resort. I make it in San Diego, CA and it is available for purchase through Lita's No-See-Um No More TM Product Information Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!

Bottled snake oil? Sure. Feel free to post the lab trials showing how it compares against deet and picaridin over time. Nice placebo though.

Sand fleas are still an issue. Some of the worst places are the bars on the beach like Sundowners. You get eaten there. Picaridin works best based on some serious army studies. Deet also works. Avoid the tree huggers peddling garbage. It doens't work. My friends got absolutely eaten wearing that crap. I got almost none.

Finding some very thin hiking pants helps. Also, coconut oil can work just based on the flies getting stuck in it. That said, Picaridin is what you need.

Yes sand fleas (noseeums) and mosquitoes are an issue in the Caribbean. I make and sell a natural bug spray that works great in preventing bites from the local insects. It is available at Lita's No-See-Um No More TM Product Information It is sold at resorts (Anthony's Key Resort and Turquoise Bay Resort) on Roatan if you are going there. Otherwise, if you live somewhere with a USA zip code, order online to get it before you pack.

Back
Top Bottom