From Full Frame DSLR to a Compact and being happy. My Digital De-Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
Something I put together about how I have come to the conclusion a Compact camera is all the camera I need for my underwater shooting. Covers costs of the different systems, issues with traveling, how many megapixels do you really need, and asks what are you really doing with your photos. Plus my experience over 200hrs underwater shooting a compact system. Could be useful for those looking to get into the hobby or moving to a new system.

Sorry to lazy to figure out how to post it with photos here, so here is the link: http://www.aquablued...al-de-evolution

Few pics from the compact system and our last trip to Ambon, Indonesia.
//]

thnx for the info

Thank you for the article.
Now that Apple has added to iOS8 several DSLR like features (manual focus, manual shutter speed and manual ISO), will the iPhone 6 be your next underwater compact camera?

If not. Why?

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Thanks for the post. I do believe a number of people have also de-evolved. I am not sure I count having never owned a dSLR indoor camera but I did shoot film Nikon SLRs and also owned two Nikonos III units. Not being a pro (not even close) gives me permission to just have fun with my camera. The shots I get now with my FIX/S90 are by and large far better than any I ever got in my film beneath the waves days. And the camera outfit packs in a small hard case and is so compact and maneuverable underwater, like my Nikonos and unlike my housed SLRs. Did not Jerry Greenberg go to a Sea and Sea 1G compact system? Not like he was/is one of the best!

Assembly of Inon dome lenses tip to prevent fogging. Use a SCUBA tank to purge a large plastic clothing type bag with the dry air (tank air is dry) with the lens and needed tools in the bag. Immediately place your hands in the bag and have a helper close the bag over your hands. Install the lens dome to the lens. Once installed I do not remove the dome but annually to clean and service the O-ring. IMPORTANT----I have NEVER have any fogging---NONE!

I notice you have two segments for your strobe arms. I am using only one per side plus. I find this generally enough but of course not enough to eliminate reflection from debris so it is needed to get away from the bottom kickers and be careful myself. Small life in the water also may blossom. Hmm, I wonder, should I go back to an additional arm?

I love Snell's rings:

IMG_5358_zpsz9kxjqcd.jpg

And silhouettes:

IMG_5058_zpstpss9lkm.jpg

Though I am good at neither.

N

Last edited:
DivNav, first let me state I am NOT A TECHY guy, I fall asleep watching YouTube videos on sensor size vs pixel count divided by process programs, blah, blah, blah. I probably only use 1/100 of what Photoshop can do. I do want Full Manual. So if a cell phone can put out images on par with the Compact of the moment I'll use it. I think sensor size and glass combo is important as I like to shoot wide angle, often in junky water where you can't always crank up the strobes. Also handling of the device maters as I dive cold water with heavy dry gloves. Remember this classic Saturday Night Live skit? Sort of a DSLR vs. Compact vibe to it. Have to go to the 4min mark for the tie in: https://screen.yahoo.com/jeffreys-1-000000370.html

Nemrod, WOW! they way you set up your dome never occurred to me. But those are a lot of hoops to jump through. If I stay with Inon would mean just buying a whole other set. Have to start seeing if there is a good +144 Degree dome option out there for the Sony.

As to strobe arms I am a BIG advocate of multiple pieces. When i see photos "wow" photos it is often due to how they are lit. I like more "theatric" lighting. I move my arms all over the place. Here is a Powerpoint presentation I did a few years back as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldCw80PSugY The times I have gone out with folks many just place their arms in the classic 11/2 o'clock positions and leave them there.

Last edited:
I just purchased my Sony RX100M2 and a Sea & Sea Housing. I can hardly wait to get it into the ocean. Mine was an upgrade from a Sealife DC-800. One of the reasons I bought what I did was I have a friend that has the sony in a nauticam housing. He has little to no experience with photography and he managed to come out with some absolutely stunning pictures with little post correction. I got a killer deal on the housing and the YS-D1 strobe to go with it.

Thanks for the post, it makes me feel like with all the research I did I never could quite get over the question in my mind if I actually made the right decision. Your post gives me confidence in what I did purchase. Thanks!

Nemrod, WOW! they way you set up your dome never occurred to me. But those are a lot of hoops to jump through. If I stay with Inon would mean just buying a whole other set. Have to start seeing if there is a good +144 Degree dome option out there for the Sony.

Not a hoop, a plastic bag?

It is not difficult. You could fly to Arizona, in the winter, when the humidity is zero. Since I only take it apart once year, it matters not. But, I think you are sticking on the two pice thing, you realize that most of the wet dome lenses including the Inon UFL165AD and the FIX UWL-04 and UWL-28 and all that I know of are actually two piece lenses (I know this because I take everything I own apart to see how it works--everything!). The Inon 165AD is a 105AD with a plastic dome added. You do not take those apart, why confuse yourself with the Inon domed kit lens. Just put it together and leave it alone. And yes, no matter what 144 plus degree lens you purchase it will have a dome and you will need another lens without a dome for those 90 degree lens shots. Either way, you will need two lenses. The acrylic domed lenses will not shoot as well as the glass Inon, they will flare and ghost when the Inon will not. Of course, any lens will flare/ghost if you insist on pointing it badly into bright light.I also know this because I own an example of all of them. Missing from the photo is the Inon UFL105AD and my new(er) FIXUWL52-28, but you get the picture (pun):

P6050319.jpg

Why stop there with only 144 degrees, my Inon 165AD will shoot nearer 165 degrees:

IMG_1302.jpg

Had I bought two years later or so, when the Sony came out I definitely would have gotten it. But, I plan to shoot my FIX90 until it dies and it is in the shop now being rebuilt and I have three cameras for it. But when it goes or I sell it off, I am not going to settle for less than a shutter that shoots NOW and I would not want to go down to a measly 144 degree DFOV, :wink:.
DSCF0009.jpg

IMG_1120_zpsgf10pyut.jpg

Edit: Let me clarify something for the OP, once the Inon dome kit is assembled to the host lens, there is no further need to EVER disassemble the lens except in the possible need of service due to damage. You can consider it as a single unit from thereon just as any of the other dome equipped wet lenses on the market.

Thanks for the tips and the inspiration and good luck in your search for a wide angle lens that suits you, I think you already have it :wink:.

N

Last edited:
Will have to check out the 165AD, it has been awhile but I thought I was told it vignettes on the Sony RX100. I put the part about the H100 and dome as a note for those who think they are getting a great two lens system for just a little more money. Yes it is great when it works.

Plus been brought to my attention the RX100II does have focus peaking but only works in Manual Focus.

Last edited:
This post really hits home for me.

I used a RX100/nauticam full setup in that I had in Bonaire in 2013, and was very happy with the images I got from it. Then I decided that I needed to go DSLR. After a couple trips hauling a DSLR rig, taking three carry on bags to get it all there under the 7kg international carry-on limit, I am thinking about going back to a high-end compact like the RX100.

I know my D810 is better, but so what? I have sold three images I have taken underwater. One of those was taken with my RX100! I share them online, make prints for my house etc.

So my quandry: sell all my ports and such for DSLR and go back to a compact or just keep lugging the huge stuff?

UGH

Of course you are going to take a hit on selling the stuff, but...what could you do with that money? I upgraded to the Sony A7II and went out and bought the Tamron 150-600mm for my sports/animal/dryland photography. On trips I am good with just the RX.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom