St. Martin/Maarten

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me clarify my viewpoint. If you are going to saint martin for other reasons, to make a few dives there is a very good idea, but I would never go on a dive vacation on this island. Nor St Kits or St Thomas by the way :).

Around the area, there are places that offer better and more numerous sites: St Croix, BVI, St Barth, Saba, Guadeloupe ( including les Saintes), Martinique, just to name these where I have really enjoyed diving.

I stayed at Divi Resorts, they have a dive shop on site to store your gear, and a boat from Aqua Mania comes by to pick you up ever morning. If you stay at Simpson Bay marina and Resort that's where the boat leaves from. I did the day trip to Saba after reading all the negative comments about the diving around St. Marteen and was very disappointed, the diving was much much better at St. Marteen.

Scuba Diving - Aqua Mania Adventures

Last edited:
My buddies and i have like St Martin diving, we usually do saba and St Martin, but have done long weekends in St Martin. We see nothing wrong.

Here are my picts:
2011 Sint Martin

Nice pictures ScubaMarc :). this proves my point: rather shallow dives (55/75 feet) , nice fishes but very little corals and no dropoffs. So nice dives but nothing very special and exciting for me. Certainly not worth a dive trip. But my treshold level may be different from your's and other's.

Information I saw on a website:
Saba is another daytrip, if done by plane. The 26 miles across the channel are the roughest in the area. There is a ferry but most of the day would be spent traveling over and back. The plane ride is part of the fun, if you like roller coasters.

Is the plane ride really that bad? Thought about making the Saba trip this time, but is the diving (one day - 2 dives) really worth it? And would there be something for non-diving wives to do if they went?

I do not think that a plane ride to Saba, except if it is very very cheap, is worth the money.

A better alternative would be to go to St Barth. Ferries are going back and forth everyday and I am sure that they are pretty inexpensive and very fast ( less than an hour is my guess ).

There is a lot to do in Saint Barth, especially for women left alone with your golden crédit card, if you know what I mean :).

Information I saw on a website:
Saba is another daytrip, if done by plane. The 26 miles across the channel are the roughest in the area. There is a ferry but most of the day would be spent traveling over and back. The plane ride is part of the fun, if you like roller coasters.

Is the plane ride really that bad? Thought about making the Saba trip this time, but is the diving (one day - 2 dives) really worth it? And would there be something for non-diving wives to do if they went?

I did the Saba day trip by ferry, it wasn't that bad, did 2 dives. there's also hiking and maybe a few restaurants. there are no beach's on Saba. Nothing really at the docks to do. For me it wasn't really worth it, the diving was much better in St. Marteen

---------- Post added May 23rd, 2015 at 10:21 AM ----------

What makes for "great" diving? An idea for a new thread!

Not sure I've been on the "great" dive yet, but have really enjoyed every experience diving (except when in choppy water, although underwater was fine), realizing there are different things to see at different locations. There are locations that offer more types of diving than others and I do like those over other places, but I really enjoyed the shark dive, the wrecks I dove, and the largest lobsters I've ever seen when in St. Maarten last year.

That would be a nice thread, with one exception. Instead of telling why they think a site made it a great dive, some would only look to bash what others think were great dive. Lobster hotel was well worth the dive.

Hope this helps

I live in Sint Maarten and have dived both here and in Saba on many occasions. If I were to make a subjective observation I would say that Saba offers a more varied diving experience than SXM. It has walls, pinnacles, volcanic and organic formed reefs, which offer very diverse diving conditions, this is of course assuming the weather conditions allow you to visit the many sites on offer. In my own personal experience due to wind, current and sea conditions I have never been able to visit all the types of sites on one visit, let alone one day.

As for getting to Saba, this depends on how long you are going for. If just for the day then the plane offers the possibility of fitting in three dives, where as with the ferry you can only make two. The plane takes about fifteen minutes (flight time), and if you get the first flight out you will have time for breakfast in Saba before you start diving, the last flight leaving gets you back late afternoon, early evening. When flying you will need transfers to and from the airport to the harbour, this can be arranged by the dive shop in Saba (I always use and can recommend Sea Saba). The ferry leaves at 9:00 am (booking in at 8:15) and takes about 1.5 hours, which gets you into Saba in time for the second and third boat dives, before returning on the ferry at 15:30 pm. Transfers to and from the ferry are just a matter of checking in at passport control and walking along the jetty between the boats. So the advantages of flying are you can fit in an extra dive, and if you suffer from sea sickness it's much more comfortable (and quite exciting when landing and taking off in Saba), especially as you will be getting onto another boat as soon as you arrive. The disadvantages are it costs more (about $180 vs $100 per person), you may be limited on how much luggage you can take, which may be a problem if you have a full set of dive gear plus camera's etc. This has never happened to me and only occurs if the plane is full, when weight restrictions may apply, should it occur then you stuff will be put on the next available flight, but if you are only going for the day this might not be ideal. Assuming you don't get easily seasick the ferry offers a good alternative to flying, especially if you intend to spend a night or two on Saba, unlimited luggage ($5 for every extra suitcase) and you only miss one dive on the day of arrival.

OK, that's Saba pretty much covered, now Sint Maarten! When I first visited and dived here back in 2008 I wasn't very impressed, I tried a couple of dives but they were not the best and with the exception of the shark feeding dives, which were fun (they've stopped them now), I was disappointed, hence I used to always go to Saba. However since I moved permanently here I decided to investigate more options and different dive operators, and manged to hit on "Ocean Explorers" based in Simpson Bay. Having now done more that 50 dives with them my opinion has changed completely. Although SXM does not have the dive site diversity of Saba, it does have it's own character which is broadly split into two main areas. Directly out front of Simpson Bay and to the right (the more Caribbean side of the island) is a more sheltered sandy and sea-grass area which has some wreck dives, which although in my opinion not beautiful to look at, do attract sting rays, turtles, and schools of fish, which you can see on almost every dive. My preference is to the left of Simpson Bay around towards Great Bay (the more Atlantic side of the island), where although the sea can be a little rougher you will see some beautiful reefs such as "Fish Bowl", Maze", "Cable" and the wrecks "Proyselyte" and "Carib Cargo". On these sites you will nearly always see Nurse Sharks, Caribbean Reef Sharks, Turtles, Rays and of course a variety of beautiful Caribbean creatures. I should also say that the sharks are very friendly and come very close to the divers, probably because of the previous feeding policy, this does however make for some great photo opportunities.

I still haven't explored all that SXM has to offer as I've yet to do the dives sites "Moon Hole" and "One Step" which are further around on the Atlantic side and require that the sea conditions are excellent before they can be dived. I also have the French side of the island to look forward to, I've heard that the diving between SXM and Anguilla is also good, so that's also on my "to do list".

So in summary both Saba and SXM offer great diving, the major difference is that there is some "poor" diving in SXM. If I were planning a serious dive trip of a week or two and nothing else (there really is nothing else to do in Saba unless you like hiking), I would probably choose Saba, and keep my fingers crossed that the weather would allow me to visit most of their spectacular dive sites. However if I was looking for a more rounded holiday, beaches, bars, restaurants, supermarkets, shopping etc. and of course also wanted some great diving I would choose SXM. I think ideally I would do a little of both, the main stay in SXM with a couple of nights in Saba.

My biggest tip when visiting SXM and Saba (this probably applies to all dive destinations) is find a good operator, my experience here confirms this and I can definitely recommend "Ocean Explorers" with Jeff and his team in Simpson Bay, and "Sea Saba" in Windwardside.

I've attached a few pictures I've taken in Sint Maarten over the last month to give you and idea of the type of diving.

Hope this all helps if you need any more info let me know, gotta go now it's Saturday morning and the wife is calling it's time to go shopping :)

Shark_1.jpgSharks_2.jpgTurtle_1.jpgReef_1.jpgReef_2.jpgReef_3.jpg

Well done, Livek. A very good report and sound advices. Can you fly back the same day after 3 dives ?

The plane is an un-pressurized island hopper and flies relatively low (+/- 2500 feet) for the less than fifteen minute flight, also the time between the end of the last dive and the flight is normally around 2 to 3 hours so you do get a little time to off-gas, I personally have never had a problem, but of course it also depends on your state of health, your dive profiles, etc., if you're worried check it out with the dive shop on Saba.

I suppose there are some that would say it's not worth the risk, others would consider it a very low to no risk.

Sea Saba quote the following on their web site, although it does stipulate "two dives":

"One of the more frequently asked questions divers have about Saba concerns the risks associated with diving, flying. For more than 20 years, divers have been flying to Saba from St. Maarten, conducting two dives and returning to St. Maarten the same day without any known cases of decompression sickness resulting directly from the short 12 minute Winair flight. This is due in part to the fact that the flight doesn't exceed an altitude of 2500 feet (and frequently much less) as well as its short duration. However, as you remember from your introductory scuba course, there is an increased risk associated with flying after diving. In particular, if you are planning to depart on an international flight from St. Maarten, you should adhere strictly to the guidelines of your certifying agency allow sufficient time for off-gassing."

Alert Diver Magazine are a little more conservative about the risk, see below:

Alert Diver magazine Fall 2013 issue re-examines the question of the St. Maarten "day tripper" flying to Saba for a day of diving. Check out the following link to read the full report in order to make your own, educated decision.

https://d35gjurzz1vdcl.cloudfront.net/AlertDiver_Fall2013/HTML/index.html#60

Hope this helps :blinking:!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom