This Light Rocks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dreamdive

Contributor
Reaction score
This light rocks!!

I have to share with you my love for my new cave light. It is awesome! It is the Dive Rite LX 20.

Never a huge fan of canister lights, I liked the Titan lights because of the slim and lightweight battery, but still had to content with a cord that got snagged on occasion.

My real beef was with my back-up lights, however. I could not turn on/twist them at 250 ft or deeper unless I had turned them on while descending to avoid too much pressure on the seals. I first eyed the LX at DEMA at the Dive Rite Booth. It is so small. It is a little bigger than my back-ups, but not by much. Since there was nothing “wrong” with by Titan light, I had considered the LX as one of my back-ups since it has a rotary magnetic on/off switch and is rated to 500 ft. So no problem with trying to twist it on at greater depths.

Well, I got on for a present and it is simply great! With 20000 lux, it is much brighter than my (now) old primary light. It has three power settings providing 4 hours of burn time on full before it readjusts itself to the low setting for another 20 minutes. Thus one is never, pardon the punch, left in the dark unexpectedly. The third setting functions as a strobe.

It has a very stable hand cradle and can easily be taken of it if necessary. The hand cradle can easily be worn on my left hand or right, depending what it is that I am doing.

From all the lights currently out there, I regard the LX20 as my absolute favorite. The price point is also right and I am buying another one as my primary/secondary. I can’t go wrong having two of them on me.

Dive Rite LX20 Handheld Primary Light

Safe Diving,

Claudia Roussos MD

Are you okay with the light sock type hand mount? The only time I've tried one of those, the light was too wobbly to suit me.

Are you okay with the light sock type hand mount? The only time I've tried one of those, the light was too wobbly to suit me.

In this case, yes. I had tried the Halcyon hand-mounted light but the light handle was too long and heavy for my hands.
The LX20 is short and light and will not wobble, nor will you have problems bending your wrists back.

I'm really looking to pick one of these up soon. I love Dive Rite's stuff and this light simply looks awesome.

I wonder if their lights are more reliable now. I've had one of their backup lights with magnetic switch and ut didn't last long. Same with several other people.

Just curious...I noticed that this light has a 6 degree spot, which is pretty focused. My question is do you think this is still a good light for "normal" open water nights dives, or would it really be better suited for cave or wreck diving where a more focused spot is needed. I would almost exclusively be using it for open water night diving.

Does anyone know which LED the LX20 uses?

The Halcion 21 Watt HID light is around $1500. This light is more powerful than that...

I think I would have to see that to believe it. LEDs have many advantages but I love HID for its raw brightness.

Back
Top Bottom