The Tank Brake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FossilDiverSteve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello fellow divers!
I would like to introduce
The Tank Brake! The moderators at Scubaboard were nice enough to allow me to introduce my new product on this Fourm. I am a PADI Divemaster that lives in Ingleside, Illinois. I saw the need for a product that is durable, light weight, and easy to use, that helps divers safely transport their SCUBA tanks in vehicles and on boats. I have personally developed The Tank Bake and personally manufacture them. If you would like more information, please see my website www.TheTankBrake.com. I appreciate you taking a look. If you know of anyone who may be interested in The Tank Brake, sharing my website with them would be greatly appreciated! Happy diving! Divers Helping Divers! Thank you!
Steve

image.jpg

Nice idea, one suggestion on the marketing. You note it "Fits aluminum 80s and steel 120s"

I think you mean "Fits aluminum 80s to steel 120s"

I am not sure if a steel 120 is 7.25" or 8" in diameter.

As such, I would suggest that instead of listing the cylinder capacity you list the cylinder diameter.

"Fits cylinders from 7" to 8" in diameter".

If it just fits 7.25" diameter cylinders you should note that. Though 7" diameter cylinders would fit as well.

Last edited:
Pretty pricy when a couple of pool noodles and a bit of ¼" rope will do the same thing. With 2 noodles and a half hour I have space for 4 cylinders. That would be about $200 for "Tank Brakes". Also, my rig is more stable if I have to swerve quickly. The base width on the Tank Brake doesn't look much wider than a tank. I'd bet it would tip fairly easily.

Pretty pricy when a couple of pool noodles and a bit of ¼" rope will do the same thing. With 2 noodles and a half hour I have space for 4 cylinders. That would be about $200 for "Tank Brakes". Also, my rig is more stable if I have to swerve quickly. The base width on the Tank Brake doesn't look much wider than a tank. I'd bet it would tip fairly easily.

+1 Gotta love Dollar Store pool noodles at $1 each !

Thank you for your comments. I'll definitely consider making some changes that will reference the tank diameter.

Interesting, but you should add some holes or other features so the tanks can be secured to the bracket and so the bracket can be secured to the vehicle.

As is, these minimize rolling, but do little to prevent sliding and nothing to prevent the tank going airborne in the event of a collision.

Oh, and a way to connect the brackets to each other might be useful too.

I use following pads, which I received for free with some dive equipment purchase.
It works fine in car and garage. I think weight is less than pound for both.
As you can see, little bit big for 30cu tank, but perfect for 7/7.25/8 tanks.
I will probably buy other set to have it permanent in the car.
$94 for "Two Tank Brake's" sounds too expencive for me or may be I don't see benefits of this one against my pads.

Attachments

• 20150530_193756.jpg
    20150530_193756.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 302
I do the noodle thing too. I like the look of these but as others have said the base could be wider, maybe you could sell a 7.25" model and an 8" model. Also if multiple brakes could interconnect it would probably add stability. I never go diving with just one tank in the car.

There's a variety of very similar products on the market, but that doesn't mean these can't find a foothold as well. Examples here here here and here

Hi,
I appreciate and respect everyone's comments. Yes, there are other products available that serve a similar purpose. Just like anything, it's up to each individual to decide the quality of the product they want to purchase and how it will suit their needs. When developing The Tank Brake, I wanted the flexibility to position the tanks individually in the vehicle, so you don't have to have two tanks side by side. Since other gear takes up so much other space I thought that would be convenient. Another consideration was the usefulness on a boat deck when the typical tank mounts on the boat are filled. I honestly don't know if swimming pool noodles work well on boat decks. Regarding the cost, it may very well come down. I am still trying to determine production savings based on higher quantities produced, and more efficient production methods. If anyone has started something from scratch you will understand all of the unknowns that you run into. I don't feel that comparing swimming pool noodles,with rope, to a welded aluminum unit is an equal comparison since they don't function the same way. I believe The Tank Brake is a very stable and useful product. The feedback I have received from people that have purchased them has been excellent. My website contains some videos that help show the stability of The Tank Brake, if you care to take a look. Again, I appreciate and respect everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to look at my Tank Brakes!
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom