Spots on tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dear friends:
Can you tell me what these white spots on my tanks are? I thought they may be salt so I soaked the tank in a bucket of water. And they still exist 24 hours later. Tank just got VIPed and the inside is good as new.

Thank you IMG_1254.jpg

It's erosion from salt not being rinsed off after diving salt water. Salt and aluminum do not get along.

I think the tank is steel.

Zinc oxide? The corrosion of the galvanized coating is occurring..

Zinc oxide? The corrosion of the galvanized coating is occurring..

I concur. Hot dip galvanizing functions as an a sacrificial anode... basically the zinc gives up electrons before the steel, this protecting it. It is the same reason that zinc blocks are attached to steel boats and ships.

I appreciate the contributions.
Anything I can do now to stop the process? I rinsed with vinegar. Hopefully this will not get worse?
Should I be spraying some kind of "galvanizing" paint on the spot?

I think what happened here was that my tanks were stored during the winter in the garage and got road salt on them. I should have been more careful but its happened so now need to figure out what to do.

Thanks

what can he do to bring back the shine on the tank?

Thank you WhiteFang21. I am really only concerned that the oxidation will continue and I need to find a way to stop it. Cosmetically I don't really care how it looks.

As was said above, good fresh water rinses after diving in salt is all that would be necessary. That kind of stuff is proof that the anti-corrosive measures are working. Dark spots, as mentioned above, should help the anti-corrosive measures last longer. Fresh water after salt water is the solution to having your tanks outlive you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom