Alternatives to Great Barrier Reef in August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randallr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got a business trip scheduled to Sydney in late August. I'd been excitedly thinking about following it with a four-day liveaboard out of Cairns, to the GBR and Coral Sea. But then I saw the average water temp is 75 degrees. I'm an 80+ degree diver, and I'm not ashamed to say it: I don't like the claustrophobia of hoods, and I appreciate a non-shaky camera. So my question to the well-traveled among you is: Where else in the APAC region might I go? Recognizing that the flights from Sydney will be long regardless, where would you hightail for a great underwater experience (ideally, with some topside culture nearby, too)?

At that time of year i would be taking 75 on gbr. Yesterday i got 66 in sydney area.

Well if the GBR's too cold for you, you're going to need to head further north. August is winter down under, so lower latitudes will be even less suitable than the GBR.

PNG is an option I suppose, or Indonesia. There's always cheap flights to Bali for a short getaway. There's also a direct flight from Sydney to Port Moresby. PNG or Indo would also offer the cultural experience I guess.

To be honest, I've dived the GBR in mid-winter in a 5mm full length wetsuit, no hood or gloves, and been perfectly fine. And I'm the first to admit that I'm a sook who hates the cold.

I'm pretty sure it's warmer than up out at osprey/ribbon reefs. Maybe 26 or more Celsius?

The coldest I got on the GBR was 24 at Ribbon Reefs a few years ago. But with a full 5mm, you should be fine. Gets a bit cool topside once you're out of the water, but the boats are warm inside :)

i'm a total wuss ( I wore my 5mm on every dive in Raja Ampat at 27/28 degrees :D) I was totally fine in a 7/ 5mm semi dry and sharkskin last year on the GBR/ Ribbon reefs. It was 23/24 degs c at its coldest. A hot shower after the dive is always nice ...

Thanks, folks! I'd love to be talked into GBR & the Coral Sea - it's certainly easier for me to fly 3.5 hours from Sydney than to fly 8 or more. So can I ask a stupid question - that is, from someone who's never dived Asia or Australia - for those of you who have dived all over: How does it compare to the alternative dive destinations I might choose 6-8 hours away (e.g., Bali, Philippines, Malaysia)? I'm considering a 4-day Mike Ball liveaboard out of Cairns: Cairns Liveaboard Scuba Diving - 4 Night Fly Dive Coral Sea Expedition.

Thanks again for your guidance, which is helpful!

Depends what you want to see I think.

Personally I found Bali very disappointing for diving - the wreck at Tulamben is meant to be a highlight, but literally every time I've been there, I've been lucky if the viz was 3-5 meters at best. August is mola mola season though, so if you dive at Crystal Bay, you may see one.

Philippines is good for macro/critter diving, so if that's your thing, then I'd keep it open as an option.

Malaysia is fantastic, but it really depends on where you go. Borneo is great - Layang Layang or Sipadan would be the best options. I'd maybe avoid Layang Layang at the moment due to geography - it's in the South China Sea, and there's a lot of political/military posturing going on there right now with China that I'd be actively avoiding. Sipadan is mindblowing, but the permit system there is a game. In a 4-5 night trip, you will probably only get a Sipadan permit one day. Not to say that there's not other good diving around there on the non-permit days, but it's a gamble.

PNG is amazing, and you'll get more cultural exposure there too.

Another option if you're flying ex-Sydney would be Fiji or Tonga. Fiji's a bit of fun. And at that time of year, Tonga has humpbacks :D

The GBR has lots of colourful fish, good coral, and if you're doing the 4 day trip to Osprey, the sharks and rays out in the Coral Sea are a highlight. And August is kind of the back end of minke whale season, so you may be lucky :)

Really kind of depends what sort of thing you want to see.

How fixed are you to a four day trip? I'd highly recommend the Siren fleet liveaboards including Indonesia, philippines or fiji.

Back
Top Bottom