Anyone else unhappy with mares puck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bclark0015

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
4 dives on a brand new mares puck 3 and battery light flashing, backlight doesn't work, and now it is frozen in pc mode.
image.jpg

This was my wife's first computer and I think she only used it for 20-25 dived. She uses a cobalt now and loves it.

It's been in pc mode for over an hour now. I've tried every last combination of button presses and or pressing holds and nothing will work.

After this experience, my support of mares is starting to dwindle.

Try a new battery. Easy to change yourself and you can get them everywhere.

My first Puck battery lasted a year. My son's lasted 2 dives. His was on sale and I think it was on the shelf a long time.

We'll see how long battery number 2 lasts.

My biggest complaint is the back light, it only lasts a few seconds. My next complaint would be the alarms, when wearing a hood I can't hear it and with no visual alarms I've gone into deco. Its
gotten me through 90+ dives so it does what its supposed to do. Over all I'm happy with it if that makes any sense. For the value vs price of the computer you cant beat it. I'm currently looking at new computers now that have a visual alarm as well as an aduitable.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

6 years and 80+ dives on my wrist puck. On it's second battery. My experience is Mares support is very responsive. Give them a shout.

I've been perfectly happy with mine -- for less than $200 from LeisurePro and my being a new diver, it's been great. However, I had a somewhat similar experience to yours.

After maybe 10 dives and less than a year of ownership, I started getting the low battery warning. I over-thought things and guessed it was because I had the date set totally wrong or something, and then the low battery warning went away by itself, but then I had a dive where it refused to go into dive mode, and the low battery warning came back.

I had a trip coming up fast, and the local Mares service center was temporarily closed, so I figured I'd just try a new battery. Easy do-it-yourself replacement, and it's been fine since (10-15 more dives).

If you're still under warranty, definitely give Mares a shout and see what they can do for you. If not, try replacing the battery and see if everything works fine again.

BTW, given that the Puck is a pretty old computer, but LeisurePro was still selling them super cheap when I bought mine, I'm wondering if they were selling a pile of old stock whose batteries were already getting a bit tired. Anyone else with really short life on the initial batteries of their brand new Puck?

My first computer was an Oceanic. When it arrived I found it wouldn't stay on or get through the startup. I changed the battery and all was fine. I think some computers that don't use rechargable batteries get shipped with dead or near dead batteries. Not particularly related to Mares. And +1 on their customer service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom