New Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaCat33

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got new tanks! I'm so excited! BUT... they didn't come with visual inspection stickers.

Are there any dive shops (in Florida specifically) that will "give" vis stickers for new tanks? I can provide the tanks' receipts. What's the standard practice/protocol? I can screw in the valves myself, but would rather have a "professional" do it. I understand the risks associated, and if it incurred SOME sort of cost, but when shops want to charge me to visual inspect a brand new tanks, it doesn't make sense.

Cheers!

no one is going to give them to you, but I'm sure there are some in Tampa that will likely do a VIP/Fill on them. That said, even if they had a vip sticker, many shops won't fill them without doing their own vip...

I got new tanks! I'm so excited! BUT... they didn't come with visual inspection stickers.

Are there any dive shops (in Florida specifically) that will "give" vis stickers for new tanks? I can provide the tanks' receipts. What's the standard practice/protocol? I can screw in the valves myself, but would rather have a "professional" do it. I understand the risks associated, and if it incurred SOME sort of cost, but when shops want to charge me to visual inspect a brand new tanks, it doesn't make sense.

Cheers!

Sounds like you got some cylinders from an online store. As Tbone said no local store is going to do a VIP for free given you did not buy the cylinders from them. Why should they???? Some stores may be even a bit perturbed that you did not give them first shot at selling you cylinders with a price match (there are stories).

The reason for a VIP on brand new cylinder is because no-one really knows might happen after mfg and when you got the cylinder. May be the protective cap came off and a mouse made your cylinder its home for a month. The guy at the freight compony might have found the cap and put it back on - with or with out the mouse inside.

Find a local store that will do a VIP and a fill, then go dive.

At my LDS a VIP and fill cost me less then $20.00.

My son, working at our local store, had a guy bring in a new tank he bought online. The guy needed a viz and was boasting to my son about how he saved $20 (even with shipping!) by not buying it from the store. My son then told him the viz and fill would cost him $25, and told him if he bought the tank from us it would have been included.

He grudgingly handed over the tank, my son took off the valve, told the guy "yep, this tank's brand new all right!", slapped a viz sticker on it and filled it.

Oddly enough, he stopped boasting about the money he saved.

---------- Post added June 9th, 2015 at 05:12 PM ----------

ScubaCat... if you don't want shops to charge you for their time, you could take a viz class (and pay for it) and then viz your own tanks once a year. Until then, you'll have to accept the fact that when a business like a scuba shop invests money (by sending their employees to a viz class) so that you can dive safely, they will try to at least break even by charging a small fee for their services.

Cheers!

As others said most shops will accept your cylinder for a visual at their customary fee. That being said, don't even bother installing the valves except for maybe a gently thread fit check. The first thing they need to do is inspect the inside.

Most shops will require a visual anytime you come in with an empty cylinder. Lacking positive air pressure water or other stuff could be in there. In that fact lies the reason why most mail order VIP stickers are worthless. There are rare instances when a cylinder is shipped with a slight holding pressure that may satisfy the shop providing the first fill.

I have never been asked for a receipt. The hydrostatic test date stamped in the cylinder crown is what they care about.

Pete

VIP is normally included when you buy a new cylinder from your LDS.....
And a fill. Curious what what's the total cost of online purchased tanks? We charge $169 for new alum 80 total inspected and filled at the lds I work out of here in NY

In that fact lies the reason why most mail order VIP stickers are worthless.

No, in that fact lies the reason why a cheap transfill whip is an excellent investment.

Reactions: Tug
you are fighting a loosing battle. pay to get them vip'd. technally you don't have to while with in the 1 yr window of the birth date of the tank. shops make their own rules and they will say that if the valve was off they need a new vip. now of course if the shop sold you the tank they would just slap one on and tell you you got it for free as a benefit of buying form the shop.

---------- Post added June 9th, 2015 at 09:30 PM ----------

I think that is a bit of an unfair statement. I doubt that, many smaller shops have trained inspectors. The shops are gouging the customer cause the sticker is a bottleneck item for fills in the effort of getting a few bucks. I think your position would change if the customer challenged the shop for proof that a legit vis was done, and by a trained inspector. Picky perhaps but how many tank monkeys have the required training to fill tanks??? So just for grins what credentials does you son have??? No need to answer, whether he is papered or not it is the point that counts because I am referencing shops in general not yours specifically. Although the gloating was probably not the thing to do, childish revenge is not the answer and is normally the reason why many buy over the net. I also find it funny that you reference services with looking at a tank, saying it is new, and slapping a sticker on it. And before you ask yes I am papered for inspecting and filling including trimix. I took a inspection course cause of the very shop behavior that is being discussed.

My son, working at our local store, had a guy bring in a new tank he bought online. The guy needed a viz and was boasting to my son about how he saved $20 (even with shipping!) by not buying it from the store. My son then told him the viz and fill would cost him $25, and told him if he bought the tank from us it would have been included.

He grudgingly handed over the tank, my son took off the valve, told the guy "yep, this tank's brand new all right!", slapped a viz sticker on it and filled it.

Oddly enough, he stopped boasting about the money he saved.

---------- Post added June 9th, 2015 at 05:12 PM ----------

ScubaCat... if you don't want shops to charge you for their time, you could take a viz class (and pay for it) and then viz your own tanks once a year. Until then, you'll have to accept the fact that when a business like a scuba shop invests money (by sending their employees to a viz class) so that you can dive safely, they will try to at least break even by charging a small fee for their services.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom