The wait is over: Suunto Eon Steel is here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the email I received last night:

Suunto EON Steel grows with you as your diving skills evolve, thanks to its customizability and durability. We have just released a software update that brings the EON Steel new features: gas time, rebreather mode, gas consumption and compass bearing lock.

I don't know anymore than that.

Hi guys.
hope I can cover all your questions in one message:

1. Thoughts on when a plan mode would be released and if the plan mode would include deco dives.
Hi, still too early to give specifics. It's at the top of the list but will probably be merged with other new features. It wouldn't be right to just give you guys an estimate now. I'll inform you as soon as there is news. Current scope is an NDL planner... how big a need of a deco dive planner within the device would you guys see?

2. Have you thought about adding a simulation mode?
yes but since it hasn't been used much in previous device we've abandoned it and developed some online tools and mobile apps (iOS & Android) instead:
EON Steel
D4i
Zoop/Vyper
The EON tool is not a learning tool like the others but it also features the virtual dives to see the unit in action... What do you think of that?

3. There is a choice between graphical and classical views, it would be nice if I could have the option of mixing the two views in one mode instead of decide inc on one over the other.
Good point...I'll pass this on

4. I prefer to use it he bungee kit, but know that others are interested in the neoprene sleeve. When would the neoprene sleeve be available to US Dealers?
It should be already... they can order it by the code SS021495000... let me know if there are problems. Unfortunately we don't have it online yet...

Upgraded option appeared on 6/1/15. Now running with the new firmware. Only issue is the Pod hasn't shipped yet and last I heard was a 2 week lead time.
We've been shipping for quite some now but it may be that not all channels are filled yet... I'll check on potential back orders next week...

upgraded to the new firmware, compass looks good now, what else was included in the update? I am headed to the keys for a week of diving with the computer, so it will see more use, don't want to completely give up on the unit until I have the air sending unit.
CCR mode, gas time & live gas consumption, some menu adjustments... feel free to share your thoughts after your trip! ...we're very sorry for the hassle with the PODs... pls refer to the message above

br Hendrik

Hi
sorry, didn't mean to ignore you. Regarding the updating: surely it would be good to bring out all at once but since EON is a new platform there is much work even behind smaller things, also because we want to improve already existing functions. If a compass without locking feature is of no use depends on the situation. There are many scenarios where a rough orientation will do, others where you need it for sure... so it's not purposeless in my opinion. However, I understand your point that this is something considered a given and not worth an add-on so to speak...
As for the 48h lock-out: If the ceiling is consequently ignored you'll make the computer lock out. We're aware that especially for advanced divers this may be a downer and we're reconsidering this. I can't make any promises though since simply too early.

br, Hendrik

Thanks a lot for the answers. Nice to get some decent info, it's very good that you are still reconsidering the lock option on the 48h. Good to know you are listening what people are saying and what they want to see in the new Suunto Eon Steel.

Dang, didn't know rebreather mode was downloaded, I will be diving with my rebreather as well this week but I guess I have to be at my computer to upgrade the options from my standard display

In regards to the classical and graphical modes; could a future upgrade include the option to change between a graphic and classical screen whilst diving?

In regards to the classical and graphical modes; could a future upgrade include the option to change between a graphic and classical screen whilst diving?

This is a wonderful idea, and I'd like to second it. Seems like it should be a pretty easy thing to implement.

Some minor comments.

Tank pods - rather than the long serial number, could there be a facility to give nick names to the pods? I have four so does my wife. we have marked the last four digits of the S/n on the pod and have to carefully check which pod we've assigned to which gas or even which computer.

Different coloured straps or rubber covers, on our last trip 5 of us had Eon's

be able to turn the water sensor off - divign in high humidity you need to wash after a dive and then gently blow dry otherwise your computer stays switched on - mine stayed on overnight once thankfully the boat had power and I'd brought a lead to charge it

make the next stop more apparent, it is very small writing easily missed in graphical mode

Screen protectors both fell off after 10 dives :(

In the manual it claims the pods have a green LED to show when paired, none of ours do - perhaps a change to the manual or are our pods defective?

Hi...
many thanks for your comments. We're already working on a better pod management. The high humidity matter is a valuable insight and I'm gonna forward this accordingly as well as the hassle with the display shields. Regarding the LED I'll have to take a closer look next week as I don't have my PC at hand right now... I'll come back to you as soon as I can...

br Hendrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom