Travel weight reduction of ExpressTech or go new config?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron,

Why did you pick the DSS 17 wing over the Oxy 18 wing?

Good question. I had an Oxy 30 wing. Very durable stiff outer cover on the wing.

For myself, I found a good deal on Ebay for a used TTW17. DSS discontinued the model.

For my wife I decided to go DSS Torus 17 because I liked my DSS TTW17. The outer cover is more flexible than the Oxy so it packs better for travel. I also like the "windows" for the cam bands. DSS owner is an active and responsive member here on SB which is a plus in my book.

I put 2 small XS scuba weight pockets on the waist and cam bands for my wife. She wears a 5mm and uses 12 lbs.

Above 80 deg water, I don't wear a wetsuit and don't need weight.

I think I would have been happy with the Oxy 18, but the few things I listed above tipped me to the DSS. Nice to have options.

You may want to look the Halcyon Traveler as well. Traveler BC System - Dive Right in Scuba
I have one that weighs 6.1lbs on my digital postage scale. It packs flat and is extremely comfortable. It has a back pad and shoulder pads and ss waist buckle ( could be replaced with plastic ) which could be removed to pack smaller and lighter. I used to get into saving grams on my bike with titanium parts and the like but somewhere along the way I realized it would be better just to lose a few pounds myself. I don't think the difference between a 5 or a 6 pound BPW is very important to be honest. I am more concerned with how it functions and then how it packs. I had a 7 lb Aqualung Balance BC that I started out with. It was not the weight but the size that made me start looking into a BPW. I could easily pack the Traveler in a carry on if that was my goal. For now I just check one bag with all my dive gear. It comes in at about 45lbs with everything on the way outbound. Just under 50 on the inbound with some wet gear.

I understand those who do not appreciate light weight equipment, they have some good points and each to their own. But, to me, lightweight and minimal profile is important. Not just for travel and packing but also for use. I am primarily a travel/warm water diver these days (though not exclusively). I am not going to tote around heavy plates and super duty equipment when I can rent/borrow weights and the quality of my dive is not affected by using simpler or lighter components. And if I am doing any sort of beach diving where a walk might be required, all that weight that each only equal a tooth paste tube all adds up when that philosophy is applied over and over.

Steel plates and even full size doubles aluminum plates, can lights, metal buckles and rings (wherever possible to eliminate), full wetsuits, heavy rubber fins, standard regulator hoses and multiples of anything need to go if you want a super light rig.

N

just an update of sorts...

I bought a Oxycheq Ultralite backplate off the 'bay with full HOG harness and a bunch of stainless d-rings for $58.

Now just trying to decide whether or not I'm going to pop on a DSS Torus 17 or 20 wing or ditch the whole fabric back-plate BC scheme and go to a kydex plate + wing.

The recollections are starting to percolate in my brain about how there was some instability with my Express Tech and whether or not switching to a hard plate to somewhat remedy that makes sense. I guess what can be done for packability is to pull the wing off and place the plate in the bottom of a carry-on and then just pack everything else on top. I'd just be loosing 2" or so inches of packing volume in the suit case.

My advice would be to set it up with a crotch strap and dive it. I suspect you will find it is more stable than the Express Tech but less stable than a hard plate. Piranha sells a plastic back plate and Vintage Double Hose sells a flat one. The VDH plate should fit your wing, I am not sure of the plastic plate but for $13.00 you will not lose much.

I have an Oxycheq ultralite BP that I dive with an 18# Oxycheq wing, plus a crotch strap, and it's extremely stable. I only dived briefly with a SS plate, but I don't recall it being any more stable than the ultralite. I'm now looking at getting rid of my DSS kydex plate as it's way too heavy for travel now compared to the Oxycheq.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom