What makes a good dive trip or dive boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A good dive boat is stable in the water, roomy (for the number of divers it is intended to serve) with easy entry and exit. A good dive is any dive that is conducted safely and includes reasonably experienced divers (for the conditions). What I hate (and experienced earlier this week in Curacao) are dives where one or more of the divers ignore the briefing and head off to deeper water away from the group and the guide spends most of his time "herding" them back with the group rather than showing the rest of us the cool stuff.

Good dive boat/skipper in the UK: diver lift, hot drinks, ability to shot the wreck, safe

Good Dive Boat:
Captain who knows the terrain/locations and can find the wreck/reef on the first try. Captain/crew who are familiar with the site and suggest what to do underwater that might make the dive more interesting. Attentive crew who helps, up to the extent that I want to be helped, and backs away when I tell l them "I'm okay." T-ladder. Step in entry (versus climbing over a transom with a full set of gear).

Bad Dive Boat:
A dive boat rated to carry six who has 6 divers and 6 "crew" members. A dive boat rated to carry 14 divers that actually has 14 divers and has nowhere to put their gear or tanks.

Good dive:
The only dive I've ever had that was a "bad dive" is one where visibility is so bad that you can't see anything. Not dark - that's okay. Zero viz. That's the only time I've ever aborted a dive for non-equipment related issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom