Who to use for Canvas prints? Adorama? mPix? Costco? Others?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FloridaSun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got a handful of photos that I would like to have printed on canvas but I can't decide who to order from. The prices are all over the place and I have no idea if this is an indicator of quality? Or maybe the printers are taking advantage of customers who they know won't be doing a real comparison of the same photo ordered from 2 companies?

Any suggestions? Or does anyone know of any *legitimate* reviews comparing quality? I realize the canvas printing technology has been evolving quite rapidly the past few years and the comparison reviews might not be keeping the same pace.

Thanks!

I've had good results via CVS and Shutterfly.

I went through four labs before I found one that accurately reproduced my images. The place I use is a one-man operation outside of Toronto that specializes in fine art reproductions. I meet with him, review my images and away he goes. When I'm doing larger size reproductions, he'll make an 8 x 12 proof for me at no cost. Obviously this guy is a bit far for you, but you might consider searching for a similar outfit near you. Not to take away from the volume labs, but it's hard to beat the personal touch.

The place also needs to have superior equipment. Most techs won't really know what an underwater image should look like, so if it's wonky, they won't know any different. I find that that pesky "negative space", typically the water column, is hard for most labs to reproduce. The blue/green gradients we see in the Great Lakes are especially tricky, so being able to discuss that directly with the dude doing the print is priceless.

If you don't have one already, also consider getting something like this: X-Rite CMUNDIS ColorMunki Display: Amazon.ca: Camera & Photo

If your monitor isn't accurate, you don't have a hope of getting a good print...

we did a couple at Walmart about 6 months ago and were pretty pleased with what we got. They did happen to be critter/coral type pics, not in the water column, so I don't know how they would do with that.

Sometimes I print my own but if it is for someone special we use BayPhoto. 11x14 are $68.50 (compared to about half that at Costco) but I think the bay quality is much better. Then again if you have nothing to compare to you might think the Cotsco prints are just fine.
Bill

I have used Canvasondemand.com for years. Very happy with the quality and service. They always have deals on Groupon.com so buy on Groupon to use on Canvasondemand.com

Back
Top Bottom