How to pack gear for flights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been traveling for years with dive gear and have had absolutely no problem carrying on my gear. I have the Aqua Lung dive bag that can be worn as a large backpack. I don't have any little travel BCD either (Oceanic Excursion BCD). I carry on a full size BDC, full size fins, mask, reg set, dive boots and wet suit and have NEVER been stopped or asked about it by airline personnel. I'm able to stuff it in an over head bin no problem.

Now if the OP is asking if it's possible to carry on all the dive gear AND all of the rest of his clothes, etc., I would say that might be difficult. But as I mentioned before, I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM CARRYING ONTO THE AIRPLANE MY DIVE BAG WITH ALL OF MY DIVE GEAR. Probably close to 20+ flights over the past couple of years.

Joe - -

Just thought I'd throw my 2c in. I think it depends on which airline the OP is flying. I've been on many and they all seem to have different rules which vary depending on who is looking at bags. Some airlines are checking carry-on weight and some are not. Most of the European budget airlines care about dimensions but not weight, and I've had some of the major airlines (KLM, Lufthansa) weigh my carry-on sometimes and sometimes not. Part of the problem is that the European discount airlines and virtually all North American airlines tend to go out of their way to be jerks. Customer service is non-existent and the employees don't know the rules.
Also, it is important to remember that you are at the mercy of the TSA moron you get. If he/she has never seen a set of regs on an x-ray before you'll have some problems. But it varies, I flew with a pony bottle once (long story) without a second glance.
Depending on what you do, NEVER check your regs. Your life depends on them, so you want to see where they are at all times. Not to mention too many complaints about missing/stolen checked luggage.
Wow, it sounds like I'm cynical toward the airlines...

Hello,
Just back from a trip from Houston to Palau//Truk. I have a regulation roll a board carry
on which I pack my bcd(scuba pro Glide) my regulator and mask, boots, swim suit and a change
of clothes. I want to have my gear when I arrive. I figure I can get a wetsuit and fins at my
destination. Then, in my personal item, I pack other essentials for the trip. I have made 4 long
haul trips doing this(only problem the carry on weighs 30+lbs and I have trouble getting it in
the overhead bin--it fits but the weight is the problem and I look like a "bag"lady.
good luck on your trip and have fun diving.

For carry on MEI voyager- fits all my gear: 2xl 5mm full, BC large Oceanic Pro, regulator, apollo Bio fins large 22", mask, hood, gloves, and boots. I wear paints (convert to swim trunks) a t-shirt and depending on the trip a jacket/sweatshirt. I then only pack extra trunks (also convert to pants) and extra t-shirt or 2. Then alternate everyday, this of course only for a dive resort with only diving throughout the stay. If I'm going to a "buggy resort" I might wear on the plane a long sleeve bug repellant shirt and treat my pants/trunk with a bug repellant spray. The convertible pants are great when starting out in Denver and then I start to unzip and remove the leggings in the long hot customs lines at my destination (lots of laughs). About 30 pounds.

The MEI Voyageur Back-Pack - First choice of the seasoned world traveler

Recomended:
Leisure Travel Bags :: One Bag

From their site:
The MEI Voyageur Back-Pack - First choice of the seasoned world traveler
"My current choice in this category is the MEI "Voyageur" pack (pictured above), which is 22 × 14 × 9 inches (maximum permitted carryon size), made of 1000 denier Cordura with an interior urethane coating, and has a parallel stay internal aluminum frame. The hip belt and shoulder harness are lined with nylon knit, and padded with closed cell foam; these zip out of sight for carryon use, and a more "luggage-like" appearance

Last edited:
I have a very simple rule for dive travel--hand carry the expensive stuff. For me that's video camera, dive computers, etc..stuff I don't want the bag thieves to hork. Travel BC and reg (less the computer, of course) get checked. Those are easy to rent if they get horked, which hasn't happened yet, but then I don't fly through PR. As usual, YMMV...

I would to bump this thread even though it's old since it is just about packing gear
I don't have a big scuba gear equipment bag or trolley and by now I don't plan to buy one
So I would just to get some advice on how to pack up my things in the carry on and in a normal suitcase it's a Samsonite

Perhaps I would bring also the regulators in my carry on luggage

Years ago I bought a Kelty Redwing 50L backpack specifically for this purpose. I can fit EVERYTHING in this bag (BP/W, regs, boots, wetsuits, computers, GoPro, tray, lights, change of clothes, water shoes, raincoat) with the exception of my fins. Fins are the problem, but if your checked bag is delayed you can easily find a pair to rent. Technically the 50L Redwing exceeds the length standards, but it is a soft lightweight bag that conforms perfectly to a tapered overhead bin. I have never had an issue boarding an aircraft with this bag…..yet. My buddy does the same thing, but she has an Osprey backpack. We never place our Freedom Plates, Shearwater computers or regs in a checked bag and never will.

Last edited:
My husband and I bought a couple of cheap roller bags, carry on size from Target. They were about $20, 8 years ago. I dive a Xena. He dives a Stilletto. We can both fit our BC's, regs, computers, and masks in them. I also pack a swimsuit, tooth brush and change of clothes. Wetsuit and fins go in our checked luggage with the rest of our clothes. The rollers easily fit in the overhead bins.

I've heard too many horror stories of lost/stolen luggage, especially if the luggage has dive gear logos on it.

Years ago I bought a Kelty Redwing 50L backpack specifically for this purpose. I can fit EVERYTHING in this bag (BP/W, regs, boots, wetsuits, computers, GoPro, tray, lights, change of clothes, water shoes, raincoat) with the exception of my fins. Fins are the problem, but if your checked bag is delayed you can easily find a pair to rent. Technically the 50L Redwing exceeds the length standards, but it is a soft lightweight bag that conforms perfectly to a tapered overhead bin. I have never had an issue boarding an aircraft with this bag…..yet. My buddy does the same thing, but she has an Osprey backpack. We never place our Freedom Plates, Shearwater computers or regs in a checked bag and never will.

As above, only I bought a yukon 45+10 -- in the US they can be had for under fifty bucks if you look around. It includes a detachable "personal item" purse-pack that fits the camera and 11" laptop etc. And I can fit my Accels in the main pack too.

Back
Top Bottom