Is a scabbed wound considered an open wound?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

david82d

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok so going to the Keys next week. Got 2 days worth of diving setup. Vibrio Vulnificus is in the news, in that location. It will be about a week and a half since I was bitten by bugs (10-15) small bites while geocaching. They have since scabbed over. My question is one I have not had any conclusive resolution to. Is a scabbed wound considered an open wound? Normally I wouldn't be too worried about one or two bites but if I have 15 potential entry sites it would be good to know if there is anything I can do if a scab is still considered an open wound. The biggest one is about 1/4 of a dime. Any thoughts from experienced medics, divers, etc. would be appreciated.

I am only a diver - when a scab gets wet I have found it falls off with very little pressure - that to me is an open wound. :D

Not only am I not a doctor, I do not play one on on TV either.

In your situation I have been known to "waterproof" a scabbed wound (if it was in a place I could), however with more than one I'd wait it out because of the odds. Work on your gear, read about diving, or go do something completely different if not diving is really pi**ing you off right now.

Bob
------------------------------------------------
I think that advocating unsafe and dangerous practices is both stupid and foolish. That is why I don't tell people to do what I do. Dsix36

This stuff is the shizznits: New-Skin .... Should be in every week-long dive trip gear.

Vibrio Vulnificus? (From The University of the Googles, the Jenny McCarthy School o' Medicine):
Increasing seasonal temperatures and decreasing coastal salinity levels seem to favor a greater concentration of Vibrio within filter-feeding shellfish of the US Atlantic seaboard and the Gulf of Mexico, especially oysters (Crassostrea virginica). Scientists have frequently demonstrated the presence of Vibrio vulnificus in the gut of oysters and other shellfish and in the intestines of fish that inhabit oyster reefs. The vast majority of people who develop sepsis from V. vulnificus became ill after they ate raw oysters, most of these cases have been men.

Is that what you have decided to worry about, really? It's almost SHARK WEEK on da' cable, this clam-pox will soon be a distant memory.

If you can get your hands on second skin, or the stuff hospitals put over where needles go in. Just google transparent skin dressings. It is clear and stays on really well, and will protect you. They make really small ones. I had a half inch deep gash and I covered it with one of those and dove for a week straight, with the same patch on the whole time. And it was on my heel which moves a lot. Unlike a normal bandaid the skin underneath doesn't even get wet, so no chance of infection.

It also helped the healing go faster, as my heel was really badly infected when I put the dressing on and the somehow it just heeled without a scab. Pretty cool stuff.

I want to get more of them just to always have them with me when I vacation dive so I don't have to miss a dive due to injury or cut.

see if you can score some Tegaderm and put pieces of it over the scabs if you're concerned. Its good stuff and stays put.

Good suggestions. Where are the bites? If they were chiggers the bites can last a surprisingly long time. I know from painful itchy experience.

I've got about 4 on my chest, 4 on my back and about 4 each around the ankles. Most are super tiny at this point except 1. I got a hold of new skin and some waterproof bandages. I'll make the call closer to dive time on Monday. Thanks everyone!

Tagaderm is good stuff. New-Skin for me at least doesn't last very long in water. Maybe try both before you go.

As a person who has a tough time getting bandaids to stay on me for more than 5 minutes, I always use the Hydrocolloid patches. AFAIK they're supposed to be for blisters originally. They don't come off even after 3 days of diving, haven't made anything infected (omg triple antibiotic ointment is what I use if I want to have the wound turn black on me :shocked:), and provide a cushion if said wound is tender to the touch.

pic from cvs:
5042845637.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom