Where to go in the Caribbean for two weeks in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

violinfather

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am taking my daughter diving as a high school grad gift. She has dove in Cozumel about 75 two tank dives. Does anyone have suggestions on where to go where we might see pelagics?

Well, if she's done 75 Cozumel dives, I imagine she's seen black grouper, eagle rays & some other things.

Tell me what all you consider 'pelagic?' Anything big, or true open ocean wildlife? Are we talking sharks, goliath grouper, sea lions (colder water), what? Is she happy seeing more of the same, or is it important you see 'something different?'

How important is it that you have pretty coral reefs? Is warm water diving all you'd consider?

What are the main things you guys most enjoyed seeing on past dives, and what are the main things you want to see on this trip?

I ask in part because from what I've read before, Cozumel is actually known for some 'big stuff' (compared to Bonaire).

Richard.

I should have been more specific. Really we would like to see sharks if possible. We have seen many nurse sharks in Cozumel and Eagle Rays which we love. We went Bull Shark diving off Playa which we also really liked. Neither of us are very interested in macro.

We definitely prefer warm water diving. I would love for her to see Hammerheads. I have seen them in the Red Sea. Budget is important though which eliminates a trip where we could see lots of big stuff. We both love wall dives and pinnacle dives.

If you're open to a live-aboard, the Bahamas and Turks & Caicos seem to be the 'sharky' sites by reputation. Hoping to hit one of them one day myself. Here's a thread on picking a Caribbean live-aboard. You can see sharks elsewhere; I saw several on a Sun Dancer 2 live-aboard out of Belize last month.

Perhaps someone else can provide some land-based options.

Richard.

Do a few days in Jupiter, FL. You could do some shark dives and then some reef dives where you should also see plenty of turtles.

Following that take the short flight to the Bahamas and do more shark dives. Tiger beach, etc.

Don't forget that July = Hurricane potential in the Caribbean. Especially in the more sharky areas. Absent a request for big stuff Bonaire and Curacao minimize hurricane potential, practically to zero.

If you're not married to the idea of the Caribbean, Socorro has plenty of big stuff. Water a little colder, price a little higher.

I agree that the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos are the best Caribbean areas for diving with sharks, so you should concentrate on finding a location in those areas.

I just came across the link below to summer family packages being offered by Cobalt Coast on Grand Cayman, but I don't know if that would be applicable or of interest. We always see some sharks in the Caymans, mostly reef sharks and nurse sharks, but not many and not on every dive.

Dive Into Summer - Only In Cayman

Saw reef sharks almost every dive at Provideciales a fews years ago in August.

We've taken 2 trips to Provo. It is beautiful and we really enjoyed our time on Grace Bay Beach and exploring the island but then we got on liveaboards for the diving portion of our trip.

It was fantastic diving on beautiful walls and we saw sharks on almost every dive. I remember a night dive when we were being circled by a group of reef sharks - that was exciting!

The reason that we choose to do liveaboards is because of numerous comments we've read about the long boat rides out to the reefs from Provo via land-based dive operations. I have read reports about spending much of the day in a boat going back and forth - and not getting back to the resort until the mid-afternoon after diving 2 tanks - if you want to dive the nicest areas.

I wish someone would do "just a little bit of development" on West Caicos or French Cay and open a small, remote, diver dedicated resort; but maybe that's not feasible.

Anyway, I also recommend T&C for great Caribbean diving, especially for diving with sharks, but I recommend a liveaboard, if that is an option for you.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom